Conical Peak, Cave Lake Adventure

Conical Peak, Cave Lake Adventure

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 15, 2007
Activities Activities: Mixed
Seasons Season: Summer

Conical Peak, Cave Lake Adventure

Click on the following link and mountain name for interactive maps and other resources.


To Trailhead: From US 191 and MT 371 (just east of Melville, MT), drive west on Melville Rd./MT 371. In 12.4 miles, stay left at a 3-way junction. In 1.6 miles, bear left at a fork in the road. In .4 mile, bear left. Go 3.6 miles and park on the left outside the gate around the ranch house. You must sign in at the house before beginning your trip.  Access is through private land.  

Approach: After signing in at the guest ranch, follow the two track grassy ranch road to the right of the house, called Rein Road on old USGS maps. This is one of only a few public right-of-ways into the Crazy Mountains. At 1.8 miles, you’ll reach a gate in a fence, marking the boundary of public land. Until the wet crossing of Sweet Grass Creek, the route traverses grassy ranch-land sometimes on public and sometimes on private land.

At about 3 1/2 miles down the ranch road at the edge of “Eagle Park”, approximately 3/4 of a mile before Milly Creek flows into Sweet Grass Creek.  Milly Creek flows through a narrow, steep gorge before emptying into Sweet Grass Creek.  There is a single spot to cross Milly Creek and the trick is to find that spot.  You’ll leave the ranch road to the left (South) and look for a path that leads roughly WSW through fairly open timber.  Look for Cairns or other markers. You'll gain some elevation but avoid going too high and too far South which is what I did. If you do, speaking from experience, you'll find yourself looking down a steep cliff to Milly Creek.  If you find yourself at that point, go right (North) and work your way to the crossing point.  Not really to difficult to find.  

When you cross the creek, you'll make a steep climb to get above the gorge and and then begin your trek up the canyon well above the Milly Creek on the NW side.  It will be a tedious and sometimes nerve racking trek across steep and loose scree and talus slopes.  Cave Lake does not get a lot of visitors and this is one of the reasons.  You'll also be bushwhacking through some occasional sub-alpine scrub brush and trees.  You might find a bit of intermittent trail now and then, but don't worry, it won't last long and you'll be bushwhacking soon again.  This stressful part of the journey will last about 3 miles uphill, up the canyon.  It will all be worth it once you get past it as you step into a high country lost paradise.

You'll make good time on the ranch road, but once you cross Milly Creek. You'll be lucky to make 1 mile per hour.  From trailhead to the Lake, it's about 9 miles total, about half up the canyon.  It took me 8 hours with a 60 lb pack and i was in fairly good shape.


Unnamed Image
On the ranch road I ran into a flock of young wild turkeys.

Unnamed Image
The Milly Creek Crossing

Unnamed Image
Crossing a mountain brook on the way up the canyon

Unnamed Image
Reaching the lush upper reaches of the canyon


Day 2


I got up past the steep talus and found a good spot to bivy for the first night and got an early start the next morning.

Unnamed Image
Upper Milly Creek

Unnamed Image
Getting close to Cave Lake

Unnamed Image
The gate to high country paradise.  The lower pond which is about 100 ft across and maybe 6 ft deep in the middle, holds many large and hungry trout that get washed down during spring runoff.  The pond is not large enough to keep trout alive during winter.  So don't feel guilty about catching a few for the frying pan.

Unnamed Image
A couple hundred yards below Cave Lake

Unnamed Image
Alpine flora


Unnamed Image
Rocky and Sugar ready to make base camp


Unnamed Image

After setting up camp I went back downstream to fish Milly Creek and caught a few Rainbow Golden hybrids.  Cave Lave is know for its world class Golden trout.  The last I heard, the Montana State record Golden of 5 lbs was taken out of Cave Lake.  I tried fishing the Lake that evening with no success.  If I ever come back up here, ill bring a spinning rod.  Catching one of the big Golden on a fly rod is almost impossible.  The next morning I did try the Lake again to no avail.  I saw a couple of 2-3 pounders cruse by, so they're in there.


Unnamed Image
Cave Lake West


Unnamed Image
Cave Lake East


Day 3  Fishing and Climbing


Spent the night under the stars

Unnamed Image
Base Camp Bivy


Went fishing for the morning.  I fished Milly and the pond below the Lake.  I probably got 10 out of the creek and about 40 out of the pond after about 3-4 hours of fishing.  Almost all were rainbow golden hybrids and maybe a couple pure rainbows and a couple of pure goldens.

Unnamed Image
Nice Rainbow Golden hybrid

After fishing for the morning I decided to scramble up Conical.  It was about a mile hike up a drainage until we got to the slope that led up to the North ridge,  Not very difficult or exciting but not a bad way to spend an afternoon.  I saw a goat on the ridge before we got there, and on the way up the ridge to the peak, I saw a large heard of about 17 billies, nannies and kids.  Mostly in a straight line traversing a talus slope.

Unnamed Image
Class 2-3 boulder scrambling to the North ridge


Unnamed Image
Already tuckered out

Unnamed Image
View from the North col, West, Diamond lake


Unnamed Image
View from the North col, North, Peak 10,422



Unnamed Image
View from the North col, East, the drainage we came up from Cave lake



Unnamed Image
View from the North col, South, Conical Peak


Unnamed Image
View From Conical Peak, Southeast, Crazy Peak


Unnamed Image
View From Conical Peak, Southeast, Big Timber Peak, Crazy Peak


Unnamed Image
View From Conical Peak, East



Unnamed Image
Sugar



Unnamed Image
Rocky



Unnamed Image
Conical Peak   10,748 ft


Got back to camp, fixed up some grub and coffee, did some fishing and relaxed by the lake for a beautiful evening sunset and moonset.

Unnamed Image
Waining moon setting over Western ridge


Unnamed Image

Day 4   Fishing, break camp and head out


I tried the Lake once more in the morning with the fly rod but no good.  Went back down stream again and slew them.  Caught at least fifty 12-18 inch rainbow goldens ranging about 1-3 lbs.  Mostly on dries.  That kind of fishing will spoil you.


Unnamed Image


Unnamed Image




It was a long hot hike back down the canyon and the dogs were about wore out by the time we got to the creek crossing.




Unnamed Image


Unnamed Image


Unnamed Image
Backpacker's tan... it felt as good as it looks.







Comments

No comments posted yet.