Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.9768°S / 43.0283°W
Additional Information County: Niterói
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Big Wall
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 688 ft / 210 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Costão de Itacoatiara is well-know by this name, but the real name is Tucum. Costão is the most famous mountain in Niterói City. The rock block meet the ocean at the end of Tiririca Range, making a real nature encounter.This is an easy and popular mountain, the people climb Costão every day to see the sunset. The form of the mountain is rounded, and permit the people walk on the all the mountain, because at the summit, there aren't forest or high vegetation. The trails are very clear and marked, the summit is big and there are much space to rest there. More than 1000 people can climb the mountain at the same time. Do not have fountains and just 1 shaded area at the top, below the palmtrees. The south side, have a beautiful place called Pata-do-Gato ( Cat Foot ). This is the best place to fish and good to see the south coast of Costão de Itacoatiara. Another spetacular place to goin this big monolite, is Camaleão. Camaleão is a little vegetation at the west wall , 130 mts above Sea level. The climbers that rise Camaleão, pratice a different sport called surfe de montanha ( mountain surf ). Over the top, it's possible to see all the Tiririca Range ( Mount Mourão, Agulha Guariz, Bananal and Telegrafo Peak ).

Getting There

To get this area, take the same way to Mount Mourão and Agulha Guarischi, mentioned yet at the Tiririca's mountain pages. It's very easy : From Rio, drive to Niterói and go to the Ocean beaches. Arriving Itaipu district, turn to Itacoatiara Beach and look to the left side of this Beach. When arrives at the base, choose the way that you want to go. The Tiririca principal trail is very safety to rise the mountain. The Wens wall is dangerous because the inclination. The rope is welcome.

Red Tape

The access is free, you can rise to the summit every time and every day. There are places to park at Itacoatiara Beach and at the entrance of Tiririca State Park. If you want to climb the mountain, use a good rope for your security. The climbers here do not use ever a rope, they climb lonely the mountain. They are accustomed to climb without the rope security, but it's not safety for them.

When To Climb

The normal route ( Tiririca Trail ), it's possible to climb every day and every time of the day. The west wall and Camaleão is very hot to climb at the afternoon. Climb it at the morning.

Camping

At the summit, just one area to camp, but it's not recommend. If the climber want camp at the mountain, the tent it's not necessary. If the weather turns rainy, you can drop down very fast, before the storm.

Mountain Conditions

Itacoatiara.com is the site that you can see the actual conditions of Itacoatiara Beach
This is the Government weather site that you can see all Brazil's forecasts

Flora

The different flora of the Tiririca region.

Camaleão

Some people call this place of "Camalha", an abbreviation of Camaleão. The sunset from there is spetacular.

Thanks!

Thanks to visit brazilian mountain pages!