Cottonwood Ridge Traverse Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

j.moorebyu - Sep 15, 2018 4:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Missing a few key route finding details and warnings about Class IV stuff

I attempted the Cottonwood Ridge this morning with a friend. The lack of a few key details were problematic. First, it is important to stay ON THE RIDGE as you descend from Sunrise to the saddle before Dromedary. We thought we maybe should have dropped down from right before the saddle based on the description, but that was very dangerous. The best way (high class III w/ class IV exposure) is straight down the ridge.

From there, it turned out that the exposure had been too much for him and we had to make some decisions about the safest way down. It is very safe (though a pain) to descend straight from the saddle between Sunrise and Dromedary. Luckily we chose that route, but almost went up Dromedary. Looking at some reports on Dromedary for others, there is some good class IV stuff going down from there. Adding that info to the route description would prove pretty informative.

Ultimately it was our responsibility for not researching more closely, but a more detailed route could prove beneficial for others in the future.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'Cottonwood Ridge Traverse' main page