Cragmont Climbing Club 1932

Cragmont Climbing Club 1932

2014 composite photo of Cragmont Climbing Club members on stone bench in Cragmont Park, Berkeley, 1932. Print found in Lewis Clark's basement in early '90s. Richard Leonard on right, others unidentified as yet.
bearflag
on Dec 25, 2014 7:08 pm
Image Type(s): Rock Climbing
Image ID: 925402

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1

AlpineEscapist - Dec 10, 2021 1:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Wild Speculation About the Identity of the Mystery Climbers

I love this picture, it really makes me appreciate the history of the local rock. This picture got me interested in learning more about climbing history from this era. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for the two unidentified climbers on the left in other pictures from this period, and reading some interviews about the the early years of the Cragmont Climbing Club/RCS.

Is it possible that the climber on the left is Glen Dawson? Glen mentions going to cragmont with Richard several times in the early '30s, and there is definitely a good deal of resemblance. I couldn't find enough good pictures of Walter 'Bubs' Brem to rule him out though, and he also climbed with the CCC. I can't find any pictures of Doris Leonard, but apparently she (and Charlotte Mauk) both climbed with the Cragmont Climbing Club, so if you know of any pictures of them, that could be a good lead!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1