Cucamonga and Etiwanda Peaks

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 34.22373°N / 117.58324°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 12, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall

Overview

Etiwanda Peak is the eastern bastion of the San Gabriel Mountains and one of the more remote peaks in the Cucamonga Wilderness. It is also eclipsed by the larger Cucamonga Peak situated just west of it. The following views of Etiwanda Peak are taken from Cucamonga Peak.

Etiwanda Peak from CucamongaEtiwanda Peak North

Etiwanda Peak from CucamongaEtiwanda Peak East

Cucamonga PeakSouth to the truck road

Getting There

From 210 FWY exit Mountain Blvd. and head North. The road merges with Mount Baldy Road. Take this through Baldy Village to Icehouse Canyon Road on the right-hand side. The Parking Lot is no more than 100 feet away. The trailhed starts at the Easternmost portion of the parking lot.

We accessed Etiwanda via Cucamonga Peak, starting from the Icehouse Canyon trailhead. There are two other established routes with the shortest being from Joe Elliot Campground and another accessible by the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek via Icehouse Saddle.

Above Bighorn Saddle the trail climbs over a series of exposed switchbacks on scree slopes. Eventually you reach the broken and battered sign that leads you to the 8,859 foot Summit.

Icehouse Saddle to Bighorn SaddleIcehouse Saddle to Bighorn Saddle






Cucamonga Peak

Cucamonga SummitAlas!


The views from the Summit of Cucamonga are magnificent.

Cucamonga Summitleaving the summit block
Cucamonga Peakoverlooking Mount San Antonio to the North ..
Etiwanda Peak from Cucamonga..and heading toward Etiwanda Peak in the East




Etiwanda Peak

TacoDelRio on Etiwanda PeakTacoDelRio on Etiwanda Peak


Cucamonga Peak from EtiwandaWest to Cucamonga Peak
Etiwanda Burn AreaThe Burn Area


The views from Etiwanda Peak are dominated by Cucamonga Peak to the West. Damage from the 'Grand Prix' Fire is self-evident to the South and East. The landscape is largely barren and scarred with dead trees up to the ridge. The steep southeastern slopes are contrasted by gentler slopes to the north, lush with vegitation.

Essential Gear

Bring some food and plenty of water. Extra water rations are a good idea on hot days. Above Icehouse Canyon there are no springs. The Peaks get windy, so bring appropriate attire. We saw some patches of snow and ice on the northern trails. Take all precautions as you will be entering a wilderness area. We started out our day seeing a bear right at the Icehouse Canyon Parking Lot.

Premium BavaricumEssentials

Red Tape

A National Forest Adventure Pass is required for vehicles parked at any trailhead. Fees are $5.00 and $30.00 for an annual pass. These can be obtained from local merchants.

A Wilderness Permit is a required for entry into the Cucamonga Wilderness. These are free of charge and can be obtained at the Baldy Visitor's Center. It opens at 8AM, so if you intend to start early call them a day earlier at (909) 982 2829 and they'll have your pass pinned on the message-board outside ready for off-hours pickup.

Mountain Conditions

San Bernardino National Forest
(909) 383-5588

External Links

HPS Cucamonga Peak Area
Cucamonga Wilderness

Video



Comments

No comments posted yet.