Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.94991°N / 121.73616°W
Additional Information County: Whatcom
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6145 ft / 1873 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Damfino Peak is a modestly-sized endpoint on a ridgeline extending from the High Divide Trail and a smaller subsidiary point called Damfyouno Peak. What it lacks in altitude it makes up for in ease of access and a fun scramble to the summit that yields some excellent views of Tomyhoi Peak, Mount Larrabee, some Canadian Peaks, and Shuksan and Baker.

Getting There

This peak sits just a bit east of the middle of the High Divide Trail, so it can be accessed either from Excelsior Pass or Welcome Pass Trails. Whichever starting trail you choose, you'll need to head east on Highway 542 toward Mount Baker, and start at either the Excelsior Pass parking area, or the Welcome Pass Trailhead, which you can access via Forest Road 3060, or access by driving up the Twin Lakes Road to the 4th switchback at 2526 ft, parking at the nearest pullout, and then bushwhacking west over a stream and some open forest to cut over to the Welcome Pass Trail.

Route

From Welcome Pass, hike about 2 miles west on the High Divide Trail, and then cut cross-country directly north along the ridgeline, weaving over and around some bumps and forested knobs. Continue to end of northern ridge to summit Damfyouno Peak, and survey your route for Damfino, and then proceed obliquely in the direction of the broad duff/talus slope below the main block for Damfino. Sidehilling is a bit difficult and annoying, and it may be easier to go low, then hike directly up to the saddle between Damfino and its smaller rock fin subsidiary point. From the saddle, find the easiest line up through rock bands, ledges, krumholtz, and bushes, to reach the main summit. There's a few spots with exposure, so be careful on the way up. Soak in the views, and either downclimb via the same route, or set a handline/ rap using some of the sturdier trees.

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Pass is required to park at any of the trailheads; $5/day or $30/year. Those can be purchased at ranger stations, gas stations, and REI. For overnight camping, a Backcountry Permit is required.

When to Climb

Hikers access the area year-round, but this climb would be the most fun in summer or fall, when the vegetation is colorful and the flowers are in bloom.

Camping

Any clear spot along the ridgeline, or the saddle between the subpoint and Damfino has space for camping. Just have your permit and avoid vegetation.

External Links