Dammazwillinge route

Dammazwillinge route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.62230°N / 8.43510°E
Additional Information Route Type: granit climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: IV
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

You will not find the word Dammazwilling on the map, although it is well known name among Swiss climbers. Many climbers that reach the Gletschhorn from the usual south ridge did not have enough climbing and want more. To the north west is along ridge to the Tiefenstock (7 hours), why not climb it, maybe not for 7 hours, but just for another 3 hours?

What I describe here are the easiest routes the Dammazwillinge. There are direct walls from the Tiefenbach and Goeschener side. (VI+). Everything in excellt rock (Gotthard granit)

Route Description

First there is wonderful climbing to the South-West-Sporn and down to the Ober Gletschjoch (ca. 3155 m). With fingerlock 20 m up to a stand, then to the right, instead of climbing the more difficult overhang.Then to a ledge that leads to the east summit of Dammazwillinge (ca. 3280 m). Then walk down to the Zwillingsscharte (ca. 3200 m). It is possible to end the climb here and descend to the glacier, but it is not recommended (icy, falling rocks). Rather continue the climb to the western summit of Dammazwillinge (3275 m on the map). It consists of 2 minor summits, take the eastern (first) one as starting point to rappel down to the Tiefenglacier.Several rappels of 40 m each.

Essential Gear

Rappel 40 m

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.