Viewing: 1-8 of 8
mvs

mvs - Jul 16, 2007 5:47 am - Voted 10/10

wow!

You've got some amazing in-laws. It's a beautiful high meadow you found. Also very resourceful to put the Boy Scout troop to work!

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - Jul 16, 2007 2:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: wow!

Yes, they really defy their age--tougher than most people my age, even (including myself). Which is great because then family reunions consist at least partly of this kind of activity, so that they are not a "waste" of precious time off work which I always try to save for the outdoors!

I'm glad you liked the meadows; it would have been nice to spend a whole afternoon just relaxing there.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Jul 17, 2007 3:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Trip Report

That's quite a long day hike! From your photos it looks very scenic and secluded.
I can relate how sometimes on the way back down to the car/camp from a hard-earned summit I ask why I put myself through such pain, but then the next day the discomfort is a distant memory and I'm already planning for my next peak.

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - Jul 17, 2007 9:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Trip Report

Thanks, Brandon! For me, as long as no injuries are involved, I have a ready and convincing (to me at least) answer to the question of why I do it. I guess it has to get pretty bad before I notice the exceptions to my "there's no such thing as a bad hike" rule of thumb, but even so, there was still the feeling, towards the end, of wanting it to be over--a feeling, though, that fades in very little time after it is in fact over, as you say.

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Jul 23, 2008 7:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice TR

I liked this one a lot. LOL'd at the mediocre photo of the hour part. I'm amazed the bifocals were recovered.

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - Jul 25, 2008 11:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice TR

Thanks! I'm amazed at that, too. It seems bifocals would be harder to spot than sunglasses, but none of us could find the lost sunglasses.

vanman798

vanman798 - Feb 9, 2009 1:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Pictures

Sean, you always take such nice photos. I've climbed Gilbert via Henry's Fork, and I found it to be a rather dull hike with such a huge ridge as shown in your photo. I can't imagine doing Gilbert as a day hike! Wow.

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - Feb 9, 2009 3:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Pictures

Hey vanman, thanks for the compliment. If you thought Gilbert was dull, then you SHOULD do it in a day, LOL.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to '"Day Hike" to Gilbert Peak' main page