Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Oct 2, 2007 7:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Enjoyable Story

Nicely told.

johnloguk

johnloguk - Oct 2, 2007 7:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

for the kind words and your generous vote. You have made some excellent contributions to this website, obviously an experienced SP hand!

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Oct 4, 2007 12:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Welcome to SP

Having just failed on a 6,000 meter summit, I can relate well to your story, and enjoyed it. I only live a couple of hours from it so can go back anytime. I hope you have been able to get a 6Ker since then.

Vic

johnloguk

johnloguk - Oct 8, 2007 8:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Welcome to SP

You lucky so and so! I can't get above 700 metres within 2 hours of my home ha ha. Thanks for the comments and the welcome to SP, it is a great site, shame I didn't discover it earlier.

ganesh70

ganesh70 - Oct 5, 2007 2:38 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting story

and very nice pics. I like people that wants to climb unknown peaks, and this one is so unknown that you were't even sure it was the right one!

johnloguk

johnloguk - Oct 5, 2007 7:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting story

Glad you liked it Ganesh70. I'm hoping that someone else that has climbed in the Chulus will read the story. I'd love to know if the situation regarding which peak is which has been resolved, or do people still go there expecting to climb one peak and end up on another? I guess that the popular "Trekking Peaks" like Mera, Island Peak and the others in the Khumbu are safe bets. Also Ramdung and Parchermo in the Rowaling as they are very distinctive. Pisang Peak is visible from the main Annapurna Circuit trail, so that should be straightforward. But the Chulus are complex and there are loads of peaks round the same altitude. The Bill O'Connor book gives clear routes and photos for all the Chulus, but our guides clearly begged to differ from him, albeit nearly 20 years ago.

I agree with your point about climbing unknown peaks. For me all mountains are wonderful, and if I was climbing on a peak that no one else has been on then that has to be even better. I've never wanted to follow the crowds, and some peaks literally have people queueing up on them. That isn't why I go to the mountains. The bottom line for me is simply that it was a great trip, and the memories will stay with me forever.

dmiki

dmiki - Mar 23, 2008 2:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Again, a very enjoyable read, thanks!

Couldn't work out which Chulu was which when I was there either.

"waving at the sherpas to direct them" - you had no radios at the time?

Exciting crevasse jump - I was holding my breath for you.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'DAZED AND CONFUSED IN THE CHULUS!' main page