Viewing: 1-7 of 7
MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Aug 31, 2006 2:03 am - Voted 10/10

never made it to Dix slides

Been up Dix many times long ago (including one day when the view was about 20'). Nearest slide I tried was on McComb, maybe Hough. Ah, memories.

MudRat

MudRat - Dec 14, 2007 1:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: never made it to Dix slides

I just now discovered this comment! Funny, my first time up Dix had similar view < 20 ft...I lost all view and got slammed with the cloud ceiling at about 3500 ft ON Macomb Slide. Being rather foolish at the time, I wore jeans. Note: I still have the scars on my inner thighs from that wet mistake. I then proceeded to see the non-existent views from S. Dix aka Carson, E. Dix aka Grace, Hough and finally Dix in 60 mph winds blowing the rain sideways. As you said...ah, memories. Wet ones, but good ones!

kamil

kamil - Nov 19, 2006 12:11 am - Voted 10/10

congrats, guys!

nice trip and a very descriptive, vivid report :)
cheers,
kamil

jeclose

jeclose - Aug 15, 2009 3:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Question for ya!

I was wondering if you came across a bowl-like feature in either the V slide or Hunter's slide, with a diagonal crack? This is a very distinctive feature, and you would probably remember it. I'm asking because I climbed one of those two slides back in September, 2001, and can't remember which one it was, but it was this distinctive bowl-like feature about 1/3 of the way up, or so, that would clearly identify it. In an act of sheer lunacy, I climbed the diagonal crack in the bowl, unprotected (in my hiking boots), and made it w/out falling. We now refer to it as "Jim's Crack". So does this ring a bell?

WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Aug 17, 2009 11:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Question for ya!

I recall that the bowl on Hunters had a diagonal crack that looked interesting. I wasn't about to descend down that though! What rating would you give the crack (Class 4 or 5?)

MudRat

MudRat - Aug 18, 2009 5:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Question for ya!

Sorry for the delayed response. I remember that on the Hunters Pass Slide as well...looking over it that is.

MudRat

MudRat - Aug 18, 2009 5:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Question for ya!

Sorry for the delayed response. I remember that on the Hunters Pass Slide as well...looking over it that is. Was there a deep pool below it a bit bottled up by debris?

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Dix Slides ("V" and Hunters)' main page