Don't forget to pack your common sense

Don't forget to pack your common sense

A nice example of why climbing up onto the active dome is not risk-free. These two videos are from people that climbed and were perhaps a little lucky: the first during an eruption and the second of walking into the crater. You can argue the wind is important but eruption sizes vary from event to event and aren't predictable time-wise. For example (pic) here and (video) here you can get a good idea of what's really going on inside that cloud. Avalanches can occur on any side of the dome, not just where the active lava flow/s are. People are occasionally killed here, even when they're not on the dome.
Baarb
on Oct 5, 2009 3:35 pm
Image Type(s): Informational
Image ID: 560470

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Mar 16, 2010 8:15 am - Voted 10/10

That's right

In july 19th 1990, four mountainners died in Santiaguito Volcano. The deadbodies was found at 300 mts of the crater. 2 more bodies was found in the near volcano Santa Maria. The last victims were trapped by a cloud of toxic gases. José Racancoj from the Quetzaltenango Fireman Department.

Baarb

Baarb - Mar 17, 2010 10:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: That's right

True enough and I heared that even just recently some people died or at least were seriously injured up there, wonder if that will change anything.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2