Double Benchmark - Delamar Mountains

Double Benchmark - Delamar Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter

A Perfect Day

I have been on a dry lakes kick recently, really enjoying hiking on and around them. I first was interested in Delamar Dry Lake due to the petroglyphs at Black Point Reservoir. Which were a gigantic let down, and not only due to the graffiti right next to them. Then I saw Double Benchmark and decided to make a longer day of it with the BM destination in mind. So I headed out and in along a great powerline road to my hiking start point. Easy sage flats for a bit then a steady climb with great views all the way up.

Delamar Valley
Delamar Valley

Delamar Dry Lake
Delamar Dry Lake

Until I reached Double Benchmark and then it was time for some sunbathing.

Delamar Valley
Delamar Valley

From the BM I could see something gleaming in the distance to the south and went to see what it was. I was hoping all the way there it would be a strong box full of confederate gold and was making all sorts of plans in my head for how I would IMMEDIATELY begin my retirement.

The shiny thing
The shiny thing

 I was VERY disappointed to find it was merely an old atomic bomb. So I headed back along the flat, rolling ridge

Delamar Mountains
Delamar Mountains

Double BM
Double BM

Until I found a spot to drop back down to the valley below. Then it was a nice hike back to the car, wondering why there is only so much time in a day.

Delamar Mountains
Delamar Mountains

South Pahroc Range
South Pahroc Range

Delamar Mountains
Delamar Mountains

Then I drove over to the petroglyph panel, which was much more enjoyable a drive than it was a destination. After that I went back over to the south shore of the dry lake bed and watched the light wane until the moon came out.

Delamar Dry Lake
Delamar Dry Lake

Awesome.


Comments

No comments posted yet.