Dzi Beads

Dzi Beads

Page Type Page Type: Album

A beautiful Mistery of the Himalayan world

DZi bead is one of the most mysterious of all the beads known today.
It is unclear as to its exact origin, time of manufacture, or even how long they have been an important part of Tibetan culture.
The main places of origin are Western Tibet, Eastern Tibet, Bhutan, Nepal, Sikkim, Ladakh and certain regions in the Himalayas.
Jewelery has always been of great significance in this area. It was used as a way to show status, and also had great religious significance.
The precious protection amulet is also called heavenly stone, tian-zhu because of its miraculous properties that releases the highest kind of blessings, energy and protection to the wearer.
They are thought to bring good luck, ward off evil, and protect the wearer from physical harm and illness.
The ancient Dzi absorbs strong cosmic energy from the universe, thus obtaining countless wisdom.
These ancient beads have a rich history in Tibetan folklore and Himalayan legend.
The Tibetan people believe that only a person with extremely good 'karma' will have the fortune of owning such a bead.
Dzi stones can often be seen in Tibetan Monasteries adorning the most revered statues and sacred relics.
For thousands of years, Tibetans have viewed Dzi as a living gemstone.
It is meant for family heirloom, reverently kept and passed down over generations.
It’s a great privilege and honour for me having one of this precious gemstone.
If you have one, add an image of yours.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1

thomaspayne68@gmail.com - Feb 17, 2020 10:11 am - Hasn't voted

Origen of Dzi Beads! .

Dzi stones made their first appearance between 2000 and 1000 BC, in ancient India: a few hundred thousand were supposedly brought back by Tibetan soldiers from Persia during a raid. The malicious effect of the “evil eye” was taken very seriously by these people. Dzi were considered to counteract the evil eye. The artisans who made the dzi created amulets with “eyes” on them as a “fight fire with fire” form of protection. Artisans used agate as the base stone, and then embellished the beads lines and shapes using ancient methods that remain mysterious. Treatments may have included darkening with plant sugars and heat, bleaching and white line etching with natron, and protecting certain areas with grease, clay, wax or a similar substance. A hole was drilled before the bead was decorated as drilling caused most breakage during the production process, and holes were also useful for stringing and dipping numerous beads as a step in coloration. The earliest holes were conical and done with solid drill bits drilling from both ends and, hopefully, meeting near the center of the bead. Very small drill tips of chipped flint were used without abrasives and numerous other materials, regardless of hardness, when used with abrasives. Neolithic era beads were also drilled with hollow, tubular abrasion driven bits of reed and, later, during the Chalcolithic, copper. These drilled a hole with a core of agate inside the tubular drill. Tubular bit holes were parallel walled rather than conical, but also done from both ends. Both methods required arduous work done with a bow drill, with time and effort being determined by hardness of abrasive, from ground sand (quartz) to corundum.

Although the geographic origin of dzi beads is uncertain, it is accepted that they are now called "Tibetan beads," just like "Tibetan coral," which also came to Tibet from elsewhere. Tibetans cherish these beads and consider them hereditary gems. In this way they have survived thousands of years, being worn by hundreds of individual people. Dzi are found primarily in Tibet, but also in neighbouring Bhutan, Nepal, Ladakh and Sikkim.[citation needed]Although Dzi type agate beads were made in the Indus Valley during the Harappan period and at various locations rich in agate deposits in India, such as in Khambhat, since their Neolithic periods, the earliest archaeologically controlled find of an agate bead with Dzi style decoration of straight and curved lines and circular eye found has been from a Saka culture excavation (Uigarak) in Kazakhstan, dated 7th - 5th C. BCE. These were said to be imports from India, reflecting long distance trade with the more nomadic Saka or Scythian tribes.

Sometimes shepherds and farmers find dzi beads in the soil or in the grasslands. Because of this, some Tibetans traditionally believe or believed that dzi are naturally formed, not man-made

Since knowledge of the bead is derived from several differing oral traditions, the beads have provoked controversy regarding their source, their method of manufacture and even their precise definition.[citation needed] In Tibetan culture these beads are believed to attract local protectors, dharmapalas or deities or maybe beneficial ghosts, ancestors or even bodhisattvas. Because of this, dzi beads are always treated with respect.[1]

Viewing: 1-1 of 1