E couloir to S col

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.93089°S / 69.41849°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: PD
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Exposed to the E, the couloir is rapidly in good snow condition but will unsnow rapidly in spring. It offers an interesting non glacial route on the attractive SSE face of Agustin Alvarez.
Red morraine from Loma Blanca.Morenas coloradas and the SSE face


The couloir is wide and obvious. Steepest section is about 45° and at least 40° on 400m elevation.


Approach

The trail head is in Vallecitos, the same one as for Cerro Plata.

From Vallecitos, go up the morenas coloradas valley (see access to Pico Parra) to the base of the SSE face of Agustin Alvarez. Locate the wide col to the S of the summit and the wide and obvious couloir that leads to it (see picture). Reach the base of the couloir from the left (S) to go around glacial terrain at the base of the S face.

Route Description

Ascent:
Go up the couloir... In summer, the sun hits it as soon as it goes over the horizon and rock fall on the S side of the couloir could be a hazard. The lowest point of the pass is on the S side, but unless there are cornices, anywhere is good!
Known routes on the SSE face of Agustin Alvarez (see caption for description)A = E couloir to S col

Descent:
By the ascent route. From the col, you can also reach the summit of Agustin Alvarez by going round the rocky sections on the W side. From there, descent is possible by any of the other couloirs (see picture).

Essential Gear

Classic snow gear. Interesting route for experienced AT skiers.

External Links

The route's page on www.camptocamp.org