Earth PYRAMIDS & CALANQUES in Aosta Valley (Saint Nicolas) / 1

Earth PYRAMIDS & CALANQUES in Aosta Valley (Saint Nicolas) / 1

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Location Lat/Lon: 45.71675°N / 7.16335°E
Additional Information Object Type: Earth PYRAMIDS & CALANQUES in Aosta Valley (Saint Nicolas) / 1
Additional Information County: Aosta Valley

CALANQUES & PYRAMIDS OVERVIEW

Also the Valley of Aosta has its glacial erosion pyramids, among which I want to illustrate those relating to three specific locations: 1) - The erosion pyramids in the valley above the small Town of Saint Pierre; 2) - The pyramids in the highest part of the Gorgia del Dard, which Abbot Joseph Maria Henry baptized in 1800 as the "Devil's Wall"; 3) - The pyramids or rather the steep wall looming over the Regional Road in the stretch that connects the Municipalities of Nus (ad Nonum Praetoriae) and Quart (ad Quartum Praetoriae), both immediately at the eastern gates of the City of Aosta (the ancient Augusta Praetoria Salassorum of 25 BC), between the two towns of La Planta (or Plantaz) (540 meters) and the small village with Chétoz tower (621 meters).

The comments made by Mikaela Bois in "ENVIRONNEMENT Environment and Territory in Valle d'Aosta" are interesting in this regard and specifically with regard to the first item:

"The bad landscape of Saint-Nicolas

Badlands modeled along the erosion escarpment of the Gaboë torrent engraved in the bottom glacial deposits. During the first part of the Quaternary, which ended about 10,000 years ago, the thick layer of ice that occupied the Aosta Valley eroded the rocky substrate (exaration glacial). The numerous uprooted clasts have been incorporated into the glacial mass and, welded to the base of the glacier, have exerted an emery action on the underlying substratum fragmenting it into very fine particles. The result is a massive deposit consisting of an abundant silty matrix in which pebbles of various sizes are immersed. These deposits appear very compact due to the high load of the glacial mass to which they have been subjected and usually emerge in the incisions produced by the waterways ...".

Pano on "Salassians Route" above Saint Nicholas/Saint Pierre, by Osw 2015

Anche la Valle d'Aosta possiede le sue piramidi di erosione glaciale
, tra le quali voglio illustrarvi quelle concernenti tre specifihe località: 1)- Le piramidi di erosione nel vallone soprastante il Comune di Saint Pierre; 2)- Le piramidi nella parte più elevata della Gorgia del Dard, che l'Abate Joseph Maria Henry battezzò nel 1800 come il "Muro del Diavolo"; 3)- Le piramidi o meglio il ripido muraglione incombente sulla Strada Regionale nel tratto che unisce i Comuni di Nus (ad Nonum Praetoriae) e Quart (ad Quartum Praetoriae), entrambi subito alle porte orientali della Città di Aosta (l'antica Augusta Praetoria Salassorum del 25 avanti Cristo), tra le due località di La Planta (o Plantaz) (540 metri) ed il piccolo Villaggio con torre di Chétoz (621 metri).

Interessanti in proposito e specificamente riguardo alla prima voce le osservazioni effettuate da Mikaela Bois in "ENVIRONNEMENT Ambiente e Territorio in Valle d'Aosta":

"Il paesaggio calanchivo di Saint-Nicolas

Calanchi modellati lungo la scarpata d'erosione del Torrente Gaboë incisa nei depositi glaciali di fondo. Durante la prima parte del Quaternario, conclusasi circa 10.000 anni fa, la spessa coltre di ghiaccio che occupava la Valle d'Aosta ha eroso il substrato roccioso (esarazione glaciale). I numerosi clasti sradicati sono stati inglobati nella massa glaciale e, saldati alla base del ghiacciaio, hanno esercitato una azione di smeriglio sul substrato sottostante frammentandolo in particelle finissime. Ne è derivato un deposito massivo costituito da abbondante matrice limosa nel quale sono immersi ciottoli di varie dimensioni. Questi depositi appaiono molto compatti a causa dell'elevato carico della massa glaciale cui sono stati sottoposti ed affiorano, di solito, nelle incisioni prodotte dai corsi d'acqua ...".

Following Vid towards Saint Pierre 's Calanques (nearby Fossaz Village)

1) - The erosion pyramids in the valley above the small Town of Saint Pierre, above the Bois de la Tour (1270m) and near Fossaz very small Village (1242m).

Following the excursus held by Vid Pogachnik in recounting his experience, I share the descriptive hatch; for which, speaking of the pyramids of glacial erosion of Saint Pierre. we can say that: the highest tower is more than 50 m tall, has a base of some 20 m in diameter, and the block of hard rock, covering it, has from a few tens of centimeters in diameter for the more minuscule to the several meters in diameter for the largest. That tower is surrounded by a few incredibly slim spires, where you can only admire how they don't collapse in the first wind" ....

"... The origin of pyramids was explained on other pages. In short, soft conglomerate, deposited in the ice ages since some 150.000 years ago, has been washed away by erosion, but where boulders of harder rock are covering it, the spires below are protected from rain - until the "hats" stay up there in balance."

In the description of the route to reach our site, it should be highlighted how the Village of Saint-Nicolas, or rather the Municipality, is positioned on the open and large terrace between the Torrent de Montovert to the East (continuation of the Torrent de Vetan further North ) and the Torrent de Gaboë (to the West); the first deriving from the slopes of Punta Leissé or Lesseyr (2771m), while the second originates from the eastern slopes of Punta Aouilletta or Oilletta (2616m). But the sources of the same, coming from numerous "rigagnoli" (very small streams) each in their own right, are somewhat close together "risking" almost to coincide. The dominant position allows you to admire some of the most beautiful peaks of the Aosta Valley at 240 degrees and to contemplate the landscape in all its beauty. They range from the Emilius Group (3559m) in the Southeast, to the subgroups of La Grivola (3968m), Bioula (3413m) and Becca di Tos (3301m) in the central part and those of Mont Paramont (3300m) and Testa del Rutor or Ruitor (3486m) progressively further Southwest. On the opposite side, that is Northern, the watershed dominates the adjoining Vallone di Vertosan, which, after the corner Punta Leissé, finds its climax in the trapezoidal pyramid of Mont Fallère (3090m), the highest tip of the entire area. The nature of this large plateau of glacial origin, together with other factors always linked to the withdrawal of ice, has originated a particularly interesting and, in some respects, fascinating geomorphological phenomenon. Or that of the badlands and earth pyramids. Next to the gullies in Fossaz Dessus (about 1240 meters; Church of San Domenico) stand out, in fact, soaring earth pyramids up to 45/40 meters high characterized by different degrees of erosion. Other badlands are visible from the near East Villages of Rumiod and Persan (1350 meters on average); also from the Alpe di Letanaz (from 1860 meters to 1906 meters for Damon or di Sopra) and from the Alpe Letanettaz (from 1869 meters to 1978 meters for Damon), both located between Villages of Vens (about 1750 meters; Saints Bernardo and Leonardo small Church; monument to the partisans shot by the Nazis) as well as the superior Village-Resort of Vetan (from 1350 meters on average to 1737 meters for Vetan Dessus always from Above or of Higher).

APPROACH:

Regional road to continue with motorized vehicles from the City of Aosta to the Municipality of Saint-Nicolas: from the A1 motorway exit at Aosta Ovest Station (in the Municipality of Aymavilles) follow the signs for Courmayeur until reaching the Municipality of Saint-Pierre (680/760 meters on average). Then take the crossroads for Saint-Nicolas (in Chevrayron or better in those of Cognein and Pommier at the Cemetery) and go up a beautiful road which, passing the Hamlets of Vereytaz, Montovert, Evyan, Lyveroulaz, Gratillon and Ferrère in about 8 kilometers reach the Municipality of Saint Nicolas (ancient Church nearby the hill of "Bois de la Tour" with PicNic Area and Monument to partisans; once in Saint-Nicolas continue for about 1 km following the signs, passing through Fossaz Dessus, to the Village of Charbonnière (1263/1287 meters with Parking) positioned just beyond the Torrent de Gaboe, that is to the West, as well as already in Municipality of Avise. On this route and on the left is a clearly visible pitch with a gravel bottom where you can park.

ITINERARY:

The route described here develops around the area of ​​the badlands of the Hamlet of Fossaz. An afternoon visit is suggested or, better, recommended, when the badlands are well lit frontally by the sun: while for the period a long term the two seasons of spring and autumn are indicated, when the vegetation is not too dense and such as to prevent adequate "exploration".

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: in this regard what concerns the approach to the visit from above along the meadows above followed by a "dangling" forest on the edge of the ravine, it is very very dangerous to approach the edge of the incision and also along the bord of the escarpment, also and above all because of the great exposure to the void on the stony walls connected with the friability of the very steep terrain below. Above all, it is really not advisable to let children proceed near this very dangerous edge already for adults. A recommendation that we never tire of repeating enough ...

POSSIBILITY of ALTERNATIVE VISITATION:
it should also be noted that the pitch with the gravel bottom, just positioned at the edge of the road where it is possible easy to leave the car, in itself already constitutes an excellent observation point; from where it is possible to have a global, if not complete, view on the badlands. This "quiet" choice is certainly recommended for large groups or with elderly people and children. It is also good to know how to organize and consequently organize in this regard for school visits.

THE PATH:

For a detailed visit, you must take the path on the left of the pitch that leads to the Hamlet of Fossaz Dessus, located immediately downstream. Then continue along the paved road behind the hamlet until you find a country road on the right that leads to the edge of the escarpment (indication of the Panoramic Point "Les Cretes"). From this point you can enjoy a closer view of the various badlands and deeply engraved valleys. Then, skirting the edge of the escarpment, you reach the Southernmost part of the large incision. Return to the starting point using the country road that crosses the meadows and from there walk along the paved road that leads to the Municipality of Avise (in the direction of Courmayeur) along the left lane, cross the Gaboë stream and continue a little further the Avise-Vetan crossroads; a few meters before the start of the guard rail, take a path that becomes less and less evident until you reach the edge of the incision, where the pyramid with the large protective boulder is clearly visible from above.The descent also offers a splendid front view of the badlands. Going up the paved road you can continue for about ten meters until you reach a small square, from where a wonderful panoramic view opens up over the whole incision and the small Country of Saint-Nicolas.

THE PROJECT of the MUNICIPALITY of SAINT NICOLAS:

It was also created by the municipality of Saint-Nicolas through participation in the "Goûts en chemin" call published by the GAL (Local Action Group) Alta Valle d'Aosta with the project called "Promenade Panoramique entre les Calanques et les Vallées" obtaining funds from the RDP (Rural Development Plan) 2007-2013. The itinerary is aimed at promoting the landscape, historical and geological peculiarities inherent in the territory of Saint Nicolas and in particular intends to enhance the badlands.

This is the project concerning the scenic route between badlands and valleys that we find online with indications and location on the Panoramic points (7), inhabited centers (3), water points with source (1), Oratory (1), mining site (1) related to the path with positioning of the badlands (2):

1 ) - itinerary suitable for: families, disabled, hikers;

2 ) - journey time: 1.5 - 2 h;

3 ) - to be done at: Feet, bicycle, horse;

4 ) - recommended period: autumn and spring;

5 ) - observations: in summer there could be sprinklers of fields who bathe the path.

Vertosan .. Limestone pyramids down by Vens 2015
1 week ... St: Pierre Savoy Castle by Aymavilles 2015
Calanques above St. Nicolas & <i> Bois de la Tour </i> 2015

1)- Le piramidi di erosione nel vallone soprastante il Comune di Saint Pierre, al di sopra del Bois de la Tour (1270 m) nonché presso il Villaggetto di Fossaz (1242 m).

Seguendo l'excursus tenuto da Vid Pogachnik nel raccontare la sua esperienza ne condivido il tratteggio; per la qual cosa, parlando delle piramidi di erosione glaciale di Saint Pierre. possiamo dire che: "La torre più alta è alta più di 50 m, ha una base di circa 20 m di diametro e il blocco di roccia dura, che la copre, varia da circa qualche decina di centimetri di diametro per il più minuscolo a diversi metri per il più grande. Quella torre è circondata da alcune guglie incredibilmente sottili, dove puoi solo ammirare come non crollano nel primo vento" ....

" ... L'origine delle piramidi è stata spiegata in altre pagine. In breve, il conglomerato morbido, depositato nelle ere glaciali da circa 150.000 anni fa, è stato spazzato via dall'erosione, ma dove massi di roccia più dura lo ricoprono, le guglie sottostanti sono protette dalla pioggia - fino a quando i "cappelli" rimangono lassù in equilibrio."

Nella descrizione del percorso per raggiungere il nostro sito, va evidenziato come il Villaggio di Saint-Nicolas, o meglio il Comune, risulti posizionato sull'aperto e grande terrazzo compreso tra il Torrent de Montovert ad Est (proseguimento del Torrent de Vetan più a Nord) ed il Torrent de Gaboë (ad Ovest); il primo derivante dalle pendici della Punta Leissé oppure Lesseyr (2771 m), mentre il secondo si origina alle falde Orientali della Punta Aouilletta od Oilletta (2616 m). Ma le sorgenti dei medesimi, provenioenti da numerosi rigagnoli ognuno a se stante, sono alquanto ravvicinate "rischiando" quasi di coincidere. La posizione dominante permette di ammirare a 240 gradi circa alcune delle cime più belle della Valle d’Aosta e di contemplarne il paesaggio in tutta la sua bellezza. Si va dal Gruppo dell'Emilius (3559 m) a Sudest, ai sottogruppi della Grivola (3968 m), della Bioula (3413 m) e della Becca di Tos (3301 m) nella parte centrale ed a quelli di Mont Paramont (3300 m) e Testa del Rutor o Ruitor (3486 m) progressivamente più a Sudovest. Sul lato opposto, ovvero Settentrionale, domina lo spartiacque con l'attiguo Vallone di Vertosan, che, dopo l'angolare Punta Leissé, trova il suo culmine nella piramide trapezoidale del Mont Fallère (3090 m). La natura di questo ampio plateau di origine glaciale, insieme ad altri fattori sempre legati al ritiro dei ghiacci, ha originato un fenomeno geomorfologico particolarmente interessante e, sotto certi aspetti, affascinante. Ovvero quello dei calanchi e delle piramidi di terra. Accanto ai calanchi in località Fossaz Dessus (1240 metri circa; Chiesa di San Domenico) si distinguono, infatti, svettanti piramidi di terra alte anche fino a 45/40 m caratterizzate da diversi gradi d'erosione. Altri calanchi sono visibili dal vicino ad Oriente Villaggi di Rumiod e di Persan (1350 metri mediamente); inoltre dall' Alpe di Letanaz (da 1860 metri circa a 1906 metri per Damon o di Sopra) e dell'Alpe Letanettaz (da 1869 metri circa a 1978 metri per Damon), entrambe collocate tra Villaggi di Vens (1750 metri circa; Chiesetta dei Santi Bernardo e Leonardo; monumento ai partigiani fucilati dai nazisti) nonché del superiore Villaggio-Resort di Vetan (da 1350 metri mediamente a 1737 metri per Vetan Dessus, che significa sempre come di Sopra).

AVVICINAMENTO:

Strada Regionale per il proseguimento con mezzi motorizzati dalla Città di Aosta al Comune Saint-Nicolas: dall’uscita dell’Autostrada A1 presso la Stazione di Aosta Ovest (in Comune di Aymavilles) seguire le indicazioni per Courmayeur sino a giungere al Comune Saint-Pierre (680/760 metri mediamente). Quindi imboccare il bivio per Saint-Nicolas (in localitàChevrayron oppure e meglio in quelle di Cognein e Pommier presso il Cimitero) e salire lungo una bella strada che, oltrepassando le Frazioni di Vereytaz, Montovert, Evyan, Lyveroulaz, Gratillon e Ferrère) in circa 8 kilometri; giunti a Saint-Nicolas proseguire ancora per circa 1 km seguendo le indicazioni, passando per Fossaz Dessus, per il Villaggio di Charbonnière (1263/1287 metri con Parking) posizionato apèpena al di lkà del Torrent de Gaboe, ovvero ad Occidente, nonché già in Comune di Avise. In questo tragitto e sulla sinistra è ben visibile una piazzola con il fondo in ghiaia dove è possibile parcheggiare.

ITINERARIO:

Il percorso qui descritto si sviluppa attorno all’area dei calanchi della Frazione di Fossaz. Viene suggerita o, meglio, consigliata la visita pomeridiana, allorché i calanchi sono ben illuminati dal sole: mentre per il periodo a lungo termine vengono indicate le due stagioni di primavera e d'autunno, quando la vegetazione non è troppo fitta e tale da impedire un'adeguata "esplorazione".

NOTA MOLTO IMPORTANTE:per quanto concerne l'approccio ad una visitazione dall'alto lungo i prati soprastanti seguiti da una foresta "penzolante" al limite del burrone, è veramente pericolosissimo avvicinarsi al ciglio dell’incisione nonché tantomeno lungo il bordo della scarpata, anche e soprattutto per la grande esposizione al vuoto sulle pareti terrose collegata alla friabilità del sottostante ripidissimo terreno. Soprattutto é veramente sconsigliabile il far procedere dei bambini vicino a quest'orlo veramente pericoloso già per le persone adulte. Una raccomandazione che non ci stancheremo mai di ripetere abbastanza ...

POSSIBILITA' di VISITAZIONE ALTERNATIVA:
inoltre va osservato come la piazzola con il fondo in ghiaia, posizionata ai margini della strada laddove risulta tranquillamete possibile lasciare l’auto, di per sé costituisca di già un ottimo punto di osservazione; dal dove è possibile avere una visione, se non totalmente completa, sicuramente almeno soddisfacentemente globale sui calanchi. Questa scelta "tranquilla" é sicuramente consigliata per gruppi numerosi oppure con persone anziane e bambini. Anche per le visite di istruzione delle scolaresche é bene sapersi organizzare e conseguentemente organizzare in merito.

IL SENTIERO:

Per una dettagliata visitazione, si deve imboccare il sentiero sulla sinistra della piazzola che conduce alla Frazione di Fossaz Dessus, collocata subito a valle. Quindi proseguire lungo la strada asfaltata retrostante la frazione fino ad incontrare sulla destra una strada campestre che conduce al ciglio della scarpata (indicazione Punto Panoramico “Les Cretes”). Da questo punto si può godere di una visione più ravvicinata delle varie lame calanchive e delle vallecole profondamente incise. Quindi, costeggiando il ciglio della scarpata, si raggiunge la parte più Meridionale della grande incisione.Tornare al punto di partenza utilizzando la strada di campagna che attraversa i prati e da qui costeggiare a piedi la strada asfaltata che conduce verso il Comune di Avise (in direzione di Courmayeur) lungo la carreggiata di sinistra, oltrepassare il torrente Gaboë e proseguire poco oltre il bivio Avise-Vetan; qualche metro prima dell’inizio del guard-rail imboccare un sentierino che diventa sempre meno evidente fino ad arrivare al ciglio dell’incisione, dove è ben visibile dall’alto la piramide con il grosso masso protettore. Inoltre la discesa offre come comp'lemento panoramico una splendida visione frontale sui calanchi. Dopo esser risaliti verso la strada asfaltata, si può proseguire ancora per una decina di metri fino ad arrivare ad un piazzaletto, donde si apre un meraviglioso scorcio panoramico su tutta l’incisione e sul Paese di Saint-Nicolas.

Il PROGETTO del COMUNE di SAINT NICOLAS:

Inoltre é stato realizzato dal comune di Saint-Nicolas mediante la partecipazione al bando "Goûts en chemin" pubblicato dal GAL (Gruppo di Azione Locale) Alta Valle d'Aosta con il progetto denominato "Promenade Panoramique entre les Calanques et les Vallées" ottenendo fondi dal PSR (Piano di Sviluppo Rurale) 2007-2013. L'itinerario è volto alla promozione delle peculiarità paesaggistiche, storiche, geologiche insite sul territorio di Saint Nicolas ed in particolare intende valorizzare i calanchi.

Questo il progetto concernente l'tinerario panoramico tra calanchi e vallate che ritroviamo on line con segnalazioni e collocazione sui Punti panoramici (7), centri abitati (3), punti d'acqua con sorgente (1), Oratorio (1), sito minerario (1) relativi al percorso con posizionamento dei calanchi (2):

1 )- itinerario adatto a: famiglie, disabili, escursionisti;

2 )- tempo percorrenza: 1,5 - 2 h;

3 )- da farsi a: Piedi, bicicletta, cavallo;

4 )- periodo consigliato: autunno e primavera;

5 )- osservazioni: nel periodo estivo vi potrebbero essere degli irrigatori dei prati che bagnano il percorso.

Pyramids and Calanques (Badlands) near Fossaz Dessus or Higher Hamlet and above the green Area of "Bois de la Tour" ( Tower 's Woodland), by Osw 2019


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.