East Cactus Plain Wilderness

East Cactus Plain Wilderness

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 34.01887°N / 113.9394°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1250 ft / 381 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

East Cactus Plain Wilderness preserves 14630 acres of sand dunes (that are no taller than 10 ft) in western Arizona to the north of the town of Bouse and east of Parker. The dunes are covered with the usual Sonoran Desert flora which among other things include Saguaro, Ocotillo and Cholla cacti. The plain sits at an elevation of 1250 ft and to the southwest is bound by the Hayden-Rhodes Aqueduct which carries water from Lake Havasu to the city of Phoenix. The aqueduct is fenced off and you cannot have access to its water.

 

You will not find any trails in the wilderness, and you are free to roam where you want. The triangular Planet Peak (3141 ft) to the north/northwest and the flattop Harcuvar Peak (4618 ft) to the south/southeast as well as many other mountains can help you keep your general sense of direction but without GPS, returning to the exact spot where you started might be difficult.

 

A hike in the wilderness will take you up and down the sand dunes and over small flat-bottom Basins among the dunes. Pay attention to the small tunnels carved by small animals under the surface of the sand. As you inadvertently step on these, the tunnels collapse causing you to sink in the sand ankle deep. You are unlikely to come across any other hikers.

 

I accessed the southeastern edge of the wilderness via Swansea Road starting in the town of Bouse. Maps show possible access from the west via Shea Road starting near the town of Parker reaching the northern boundary of the wilderness.

Getting There

The town of Bouse, Arizona is 130 miles away from Phoenix, Arizona. From Phoenix, Drive I-10 west to Exit 45 and turn north onto Vicksburg Road. Drive Vicksburg Road 8.5 miles and turn left (northwest) onto Route 72. Drive 20 miles to the town of Bouse.

 

Turn right onto Main Street and go 3 blocks, then turn left onto Ryder Ave which soon becomes Swansea Road. From Main Street, drive 7.7 miles until you pass over the Hayden-Rhodes Canal. Look for a parking area 1000 ft after the canal on the left side. On the day that I did my drive, Swansea Road appeared to be a wide and well graded dirt road that seemed passable by any car.

 

Hayden-Rhodes Aqueduct
Hayden-Rhodes Aqueduct

Pictures of My Random Dayhike 

Hike Length: 6.87 miles

Total Ascent: 407 ft

 

Map of my random hike

 

 

 

February 15, 2024

 

Started my hike at 6:40 AM at the parking area to the north of Hayden-Rhodes Canal. Looking southeast at Harcuvar Peak.

 

Harcuvar Peak, East Cactus Plain, AZ
Harcuvar Peak, East Cactus Plain, AZ

 

First views of the sandy terrain with the cacti and the distant Planet Peak.

 

Planet Peak, East Cactus Plain, AZ
Planet Peak, East Cactus Plain, AZ
Planet Peak, East Cactus Plain, AZ
Planet Peak, East Cactus Plain, AZ

 

Looking back at Harcuvar Peak.

 

Harcuvar Peak, East Cactus Plain, AZ
Harcuvar Peak, East Cactus Plain, AZ

 

A big sand dune.

 

Sand dune, East Cactus Plain, AZ
Sand dune, East Cactus Plain, AZ

 

I headed west toward the canal.

 

East Cactus Plain, AZ
East Cactus Plain, AZ
East Cactus Plain, AZ
East Cactus Plain, AZ
East Cactus Plain, AZ
East Cactus Plain, AZ
East Cactus Plain, AZ
East Cactus Plain, AZ

 

And very soon started to sink in the sand. The round holes show the tunnels dug by small animals. While the collapse of the sand under my feet was at first cute, it quickly became annoying and the sudden fall kind of jerked my knees, so I tried to avoid areas where there was evidence of under sand tunnels.

 

Sinking in sand over the tunnels created by creatures under the sand
Sinking in sand over the tunnels created by creatures under the sand

 

Dead Saguaro.

 

East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain

 

The canal was fenced off, so I turned north/northwest going toward the triangular Planet Peak.

 

East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain

Giant cacti.

 

East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain

 

Giant cactus
Giant cactus

 

A flat bottom basin.

 

Basin among sand dunes, Planet Peak seen
Basin among sand dunes, Planet Peak seen

 

After 3.39 miles of hiking, at 8:40 AM, I sat somewhere to eat and rest. I had hoped to enjoy total silence, but I could still hear the faint sound of traffic on I suppose Route 72 seven and a half aerial miles away. Airplanes and occasional ATVs on Swansea Road created their own on and off noise.

 

Wanted to return via a slightly different path than where I had come from, therefore I went east for a short distance.

 

Harcuvar Peak
Harcuvar Peak

 

Came across a tree with bushes around it. Was expecting to find water under the bush but did not see any.

 

The only tree I saw
The only tree I saw

 

Turned southeast/south going back toward where I had come from. Had my eyes on a peak that I had visually marked. The appearance of green grass was surprising.

 

Green grass in sand dunes
Green grass in sand dunes

 

Ocotillos seemed to be the most common type of cactus.

 

Ocotillos
Ocotillos

 

Flat bottom basin.

 

Basin among sand dunes
Basin among sand dunes

 

GPS was of course essential in taking me back to the exact spot I had started from.

 

East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain

 

East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain
East Cactus Plain

 

Reached my rental Jeep at 10:43 AM and 6.87, miles. Two loud ATVs appeared on the road and then went into the sand dunes, where I believe it was illegal for them to go.

 

Red Tape

No fees or permits needed for day hikes. For all other rules, see BLM website:

https://www.blm.gov/visit/east-cactus-plain-wilderness