East Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.34390°N / 119.9161°W
Additional Information Route Type: snow winter mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Difficult
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Reno go south to state route SR431 drive towards Mount Rose Ski area, you will see a silver Maintenace shed on the left park off the road before you go around the corner, if you go past the silver shed you have gone to far. Also ther will be a wooden sign on the right hand side where you park it says CLOSED TO MOTOR VEHICALS ALL YEAR ROUND that is where the trail head starts if not buried in snow.

Route Description


You will head in a westerly direction to a creek crossing then you will be heading North then West again, you will come to a section of Aspens when you mack it across that stay to the right of the bowl and head straight up to the ledge you will see Mount Rose from there and you can kind of visulize your route from that point. The route from there is sort of basic shoot for the summit and you will get there. Even in the winter you can see the tops of the rock wind shelters, they get alot of snow but the winds are so strong and often that it just blows right off the summit.

Essential Gear


On my climb up this route I hade on a long sleeve base layer with a flesse vest a fleece coat and a gortex hooded jacket with a sock hat, that kept me fairly warm. If the winds are gusting towards the summit it can get brutally cold. Snowshoes are a must, Crampons and all your other winter mountaineering essentials, you never know what you might endur.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.