Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lcarreau

lcarreau - Sep 22, 2010 6:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Judy..

What about doable campsites?

Did you see places to set up camp at East Red Castle Lake, or
do they "discourage" folks from camping near these lakes? ?

Sounds like a very "breathtaking" climb up to the saddle.

Upon reaching the saddle, did you require CPR ?? Kidding..

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Sep 22, 2010 7:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Judy..

Interesting question about the campsites Larry. I wondered that myself and looked very carefully at the signboard at the trailhead and was surprised to find no other restrictions posted except for the standard use restrictions for the High Uintas Wilderness detailed in this sign. So, at a minimum, you can't camp within 200 feet of any of the lakes. However, I wonder if perhaps someone could have removed a sign indicating further restrictions. There are so many places to camp, that ideally you shouldn't camp anywhere you can be seen from the trail. On one of my trips to this area, there was a party camped on the far shore of Smiths Fork Pass Lake whose bright red tent could be seen from quite a distance marring the view for everyone.

No CPR necessary, but I definitely was relieved to get to the saddle and was further relieved to find the pillar was easily bypassed because that wasn't at all clear until I saw it first hand.

TyeDyeTwins

TyeDyeTwins - Sep 29, 2010 8:51 pm - Voted 10/10

A great page.....

There are not that many great route pages in the Uintas. This page should be an example of what a route page should contain. What a great page....it is well worthy of the front page. By the looks of the snowcoverage in late June I will have to add the East Couloir to my "to ski list". Happy Trails and many thanks for writing a page on this one.
-TyeDyeTwins-

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Sep 30, 2010 12:27 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A great page.....

Thank you TDT! I look forward to hearing how your ski trip goes.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'East side couloir to south saddle' main page