Elephant Rock Approach

Elephant Rock Approach

We spent a while searching around for the friendliest approach to the Elephant Rock routes with Grandpa and the kids in tow. This seems to be the right approach, although it's a sketchy for those who aren't really comfortable scrambling with decent exposure. This picture is taken from near the post on the Citadel Canyon/Elephant Rock climbers trail that marks the fork to approach Elephant Rock. Note that there are trails heading both left and right around Elephant Rock from this view. If you follow the trail to the right for a hundred feet or so, the slot with two trees is the next obvious place to turn left. According to http://pinnacles.org/climbing_info/recommended.html, there's a 5.8, single bolt climb from the top of that slot to the base of the routes.
scottpedition
on Feb 12, 2007 12:51 am
Image Type(s): Informational
Image ID: 268996

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
lisae

lisae - Feb 12, 2007 3:20 am - Voted 10/10

Very Useful

Thank you for posting this image. We've looked for the approach to the routes on elephant rock and felt stymied. Did you climb any of the routes on the formation?

scottpedition

scottpedition - Feb 12, 2007 4:16 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks

No, we haven't done any of the routes yet, though they're on the list now that we better understand the approach. (I didn't want Grandpa and the kids soloing the approach nor did I really want to short-rope all four up there.)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2