Elkhorn and Elkhorn South Mountains

Elkhorn and Elkhorn South Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 49.78918°N / 125.8282°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 28, 2015
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer

Trip Report for Elkhorn

As with many of the Vancouver Island peaks, half the adventure is in achieving the summit and the other half is in the approach route. Those seeking Elkhorn's summit should be prepared to ford a river, hike up exposed forest and slippery rock, all this before you reach the alpine.

Ryan and I have done a number of trips together; Golden Hinde, Rugged Mountain and a 7 day traverse through Strathcona, where we checked off nine mountains on the list of peaks over 6000 feet.  When he gave me a call in early June about a trip up Elkhorn, I jumped at the chance to head to the hills and collect one more IQ!

June 27, Ryan picked me up bright and early for our 3 day adventure. We arrived at the trailhead before 11 AM. As we prepped our bags the sun beat down on us, our brows beaded with perspiration. The temperature was approaching 30 C.  We took note of two hikers preparing for a trip, one was examining an unfolded map of Strathcona.  One came over and introduced himself, Thomas Radetzki, a fellow member of the Alpine Club of Canada - Vancouver Island Chapter. They were heading out on a much bigger adventure than simply two peaks but they were including Elkhorn...


Read the full report on my blog.... 

http://nolofacereinsipida.blogspot.com/2015/06/elkhorn-mountain-elkhorn-south.html

Comments

No comments posted yet.