Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Dec 21, 2006 8:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Story

Wow, you had a close call!

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Dec 21, 2006 10:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Story

Thanks. I feel very fortunate that nothing serious happened to any of us, especially with all of the lightning.

Dean

Dean - Dec 22, 2006 4:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Nicely written

I too have a healthy respect for lightning in the mountains and you did a nice job of relating your experience. I'd happily nominate your story to replace mine which at the moment has been on the front page of SP.
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/252136/Bonking-on-Kings-Peak.html

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Dec 22, 2006 6:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nicely written

Thanks. I enjoyed your trip report of Kings Peak. When I accumulate enough vacation time and get in better shape I hope to spend some time in the Uintas. Is that area as lightning prone as most ranges in Colorado?

Dean

Dean - Dec 22, 2006 6:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nicely written

Extremely lighting prone. You have to pay attention to the weather there and plan your climb in the morning. We had a close call with a storm during that trip (look at the pic of the three guys on the summit) and my son and I were driven out of the area the previous year (not mentioned in my trip report)

Sonnik

Sonnik - Apr 15, 2007 7:22 am - Voted 10/10

10/10

very informative for someone like me who doesn't normally have to worry about lightning.
It's also got me even more excited about visiting Colorado (not 'til next summer though).

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Apr 17, 2007 4:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: 10/10

Hope you have a fun time in the Rockies next summer. There are plenty of great places to hike and climb, just watch out for those afternoon thunderstorms above treeline.

zenalpinist

zenalpinist - May 21, 2007 2:22 pm - Hasn't voted

glad you're safe

Long's can be "killer" in every sense of the word. Just reading through, it sounds like the brunt of the storm hit you right as you were at the boulderfield campground. While there is no overhead shelter, you probably would've been better off crouching in one of the tent rings and pulling your raingear over your head. It keeps you from being the tallest thing out there. If your friend John had stayed put, you two probably would've stayed in the shelter at the keyhole.

I also notice the picture of the shallow rock overhang you took shelter in. Be careful of those in the future. What happens is lightening strikes the rock and radiates downward right into the area you are crouching at. Not a good situation. Slightly better would be to crouch down nearby the taller rock feature so that it is taller than you. I've spent plenty of "kneel-time" under a rain jacket like that praying-out a storm to pass quickly. Just something to keep in mind if you find yourself like that again. Of course, best medicine is to avoid the situation in the first place. ;-)

Good trip report and glad you all were successful. Cheers!

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Mar 10, 2009 3:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: glad you're safe

Thanks for the good advice. I admit to being ignorant about the dangers of lightning back then, but next time I'll be sure to look for a more appropriate place to wait out the storm if necessary.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'En"lightning" Experience - Keyhole Route' main page