Everest from the South Col

Everest from the South Col

The route follows the shallow gully up and then right to the level spot on the Ridge (The Balcony). From there it goes left to the South Summit and then out of sight away from the camera to the summit.
RobSC
on Sep 3, 2012 11:20 pm
Image ID: 811305

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lsheen

lsheen - Sep 11, 2012 10:18 pm - Hasn't voted

One question, Rob...

I've always been confused about "the Balcony" from the many descriptions I've read, and photos I've seen, of the usual South East Ridge route from the South Col.

In the photo above, there are TWO "level spots" visible: One lower on the SE ridge, also wider and rounder, further to the right. The second is further up the SE ridge, further above and a little to the left of the "snow gulley" leading from the SC to the SE ridge.

Which one is the "the Balcony"? Is it the lower, or higher "level spot"?

Peace,

Big Lew

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 16, 2012 10:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: One question, Rob...

Hi The route goes up and then turns right about two thirds of the way to the ridge into the narrow snow and rock gully that goes to the lower level spot. The balcony is the lower level place on the ridge; the first level place on the ridge from the right side of the picture. The ridge is quite narrow and exposed at the higher level spot that you mention. It is from near that spot that I took the picture looking down to the Balcony that is in the pictures I placed in the report.

lsheen

lsheen - Sep 25, 2012 9:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: One question, Rob...

Thanks for the definitive description, Rob. Often, folks who have been there skip seemingly minor details and features that help those who haven't been there ID the route.

Thanks for the clarification, and thanks for taking the time to respond!

Also - HUGE kudos for braving the exposed spot to take the shot from above the balcony in your trip report! It's a GREAT photo. I've never been anywhere NEAR an 8,000er, but I can imagine that when you're up there in the cold, wrestling with your oxygen mask, buffeted by strong winds, hanging on an exposed ridge, near the highest point on the planet - taking a good photograph MIGHT not be the first priority on your to-do list! To you, and all the other people who manage to do so, go my heartiest congratulations and thanks!

Peace,

Big Lew

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 26, 2012 10:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: One question, Rob...

Thanks! After the fact I am glad that I stopped to take some of the pictures. I am also sorry that I passed up some photos such as sunrise on the South Summit, and a panorama into Tibet from the summit (thinking that it was photographically a bit bland but that's thinking at high altitude for you...)
Best wishes!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4