Everest Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 32
12
Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Sep 4, 2012 9:07 am - Voted 10/10

Great report Rob!!

Congrats on fulfilling your lifelong dream.

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 4, 2012 7:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks.

I appreciate your kind thoughts. It was the hardest climb that I've ever done in a mental and an altitude sense...

Vitaliy M.

Vitaliy M. - Sep 5, 2012 6:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Congrats

One of the few trip reports about Everest that I actually enjoyed. I am sure your wife could understand you only live once and will not get a chance to do things like this as you age. Do it when you are relatively young and have the energy!

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 5, 2012 10:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats

Thanks for the sentiment. I definitely owe my wife for this one. On the one hand its a silly thing to do, with all of the associated risks, on the other it was the culmination of thirty years of mountaineering for me.

Vitaliy M.

Vitaliy M. - Sep 6, 2012 11:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats

Unlike the many people that go, you actually deserve to be there. Have the skills to be there. Well done!

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 9, 2012 8:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats

Thanks again. I appreciate the sentiment.

Scott

Scott - Sep 7, 2012 12:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

Enjoyed the report.

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 7, 2012 6:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

Thanks Scott. I enjoyed reading about your trip to the South Pacific... Another place that I'd love to visit sometime. It sounds like you had an adventure on some of those hikes.

JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Sep 9, 2012 9:10 am - Voted 10/10

"To perhaps kindle an obsession"

Wonderful writing here Rob! ....But I confess to wondering, when it is all said and done, do you come down on the side of your very objective and reasonable wife or are you trying to mischieviously kindle an obsession? Very nice job on this, you leave me on the fence--where I seem to have permanent residence. 10/10

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 9, 2012 8:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re:

Climbing Everest was a somewhat stupid and selfish thing to do. It was also the culmination of thirty years of climbing. It is a dichotomy... For years the rational side won out and I refrained from an attempt but then my increasing age, an offer from Jeff who is an amazing climber, and a few other factors tipped my mind to the dark side and I made the attempt and climb. Now, after two Himalayan expeditions I am done with mountaineering there (at least until I am 80 when I've always said I will make my attempt on K2...) Enjoy the experience if you choose to go. For me it was not the funnest trip but in some ways it was the most challenging and most rewarding.

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 9, 2012 8:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congraulations!

Thank you. There were some tough times mixed in, but it is truly a beautiful place. I certainly have many people to thank for helping me along the way...

Charles

Charles - Sep 10, 2012 6:53 am - Voted 10/10

Well done!

Glad you did it - and got back safe an sound!

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 10, 2012 7:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done!

Thanks for the kind words. Best of luck on your own adventures.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Sep 10, 2012 11:02 am - Voted 10/10

excellent prose

Unless you are the best faker in the world... you have a good perspective!

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 10, 2012 7:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: excellent prose

Thanks. Hopefully it's not all a facade... I try to be pretty down to earth about things.

Finarphin

Finarphin - Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Way to Go

Great trip report, and photos. Awesome photo of the summit.

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 10, 2012 10:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Way to Go

Thanks for your kind words. You have some pretty awesome photos yourself.

EastKing

EastKing - Sep 11, 2012 2:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent Everest TR

Way to go!!! Excellent photos!!!

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 11, 2012 8:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent Everest TR

Thank you for your kind words. It was an adventure...

lsheen

lsheen - Sep 11, 2012 10:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Rob, HUGE congrats...

On both your ascent to the roof of the world, and your excellent TR.

Your enthusiasm and honesty are palpable, refreshing, and admirable.

I sense from your TR that that your incredible effort and sacrifice were worth it for you. I try but can't imagine the feeling you got - going through all that, then - through your own efforts - standing on the highest point on the planet: What a rush it must have been for you! Seeing what Tenzing and Hillary saw: Makalu, Kangchenjunga, Cho Oyu, probably Shisha Pangma, maybe even Manaslu...

WOW!

Then, your acknowledgement of the sacrifices of your family - poignant and powerful!

Thanks for sharing so deeply.

Oh yeah - great photos, too!

Big Lew

Viewing: 1-20 of 32
12
Return to 'Everest' main page