Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Wandering Sole Images

Wandering Sole Images - Oct 5, 2008 3:39 am - Hasn't voted

?

Why are there no capital letters in this or any other of your pages?

goofball

goofball - Oct 5, 2008 12:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: ?

all these things have been done for fun. i share them so others can have that same fun, if fun it seems to them. fun does not care about proper grammar. as a matter of fact, i think fun is much more comfortable w/ the casual comfort that associates w/ the lack of rigid formality. if i were publishing my findings on the causes and cures of cancer, or the correlation of neagative childhood experience's to maladjustment as an adult, or sharing my experience's as a doctor w/out borders, then i would manically obsess over every jot and tittle. i do not plan on saving lives here, only passing along information on playing outside. if any of my beta is wrong or misleading let me know and i'll clarify it asap. i have no ego and am only concerned w/ sharing some of the outings i found to be tons of fun.

yay fun !

cp0915

cp0915 - Oct 6, 2008 11:34 am - Voted 10/10

Good Stuff

Keep it comin', Jason.

goofball

goofball - Oct 8, 2008 1:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Stuff

good stuff indeed. the experience of the trip, not my (admittedly masterful) write up. i'm diggin' s nv.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Dec 23, 2008 7:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Name?

The register on the peak top says "Longwell Peak", as it is the highest point in the named Longwell Ridge. The benchmark says "fire" but that's basically the name of the benchmark; it indicates what the USGS stamped on all benchmarks made for that survey, which probably originated at Valley of Fire. (The benchmark on top of Mummy says "deer", for Deer Creek.)

Somewhere there is a USGS PID file for this benchmark; that night tell us more about the name.

Chester Longwell mapped extensively in that area, so I wonder if the Longwell Ridge is named after him.

goofball

goofball - Jan 3, 2009 10:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Name?

interesting. so when the usgs goes on a survey run, all benchmarks placed for that outing are labeled the same regardless of placement ?

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jan 4, 2009 4:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Name?

The behavior is fairly scattered -- often there are slightly different names ("New York 1, New York 2"). Most benchmarks are actually placed by the US Coastal and Geodetic Survey, but a lot of the local peaks were monumented by the USGS.

Across Frenchman Mt and Sunrise Mt are benchmarks for "Airway Beacon" 2 through 4 (3 and 4 are on Frenchman), placed by the US Geodetic survey, and "Sunrise" which is actually on the top of Frenchman Mountain. The main issue to recognize: the naming of the marks is a bit disorganized, and not part of a long intellectual decision-making process!

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Fire Benchmark - Muddy Mountains, NV' main page