Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Klenke

Klenke - Oct 9, 2012 1:24 am - Hasn't voted

Fletcher name

As a point of history, Harry Majors proposed to me the Fletcher Peak name about seven or eight years ago and I agreed it was better than Canyon Peak. And yes, Beckey aint never been there (it's a guidebook, not his personal climbing log). Roper called it Haze Peak (when he described why I rolled my eyes as it was clearly a Roperism).

My opinion is you should drop "aka Canyon Peak" from the title of the page and instead make reference to Canyon Peak in the Overview.

Fay Pullen, Jeff Rodgers, and I did this peak from the east in Winter from Red Bridge. We biked up the road up Gordon Ridge's west slope to its end around 2500 ft, descended to Gordon Creek, then basically went up the northwest-trending long, narrow draw on the east side of Section 9. I don't know that I'd do that route in brushy non-snow conditions.

kevinsa

kevinsa - Oct 9, 2012 1:42 pm - Hasn't voted

re: Fletcher name

Not a bad idea - I'll drop the Canyon Peak from the title in a few weeks. I need to give the old timers (people like me who grew up with the Beckey guide) some time to make the transition. I had also looked at the route you described up the SE gully. I'm guessing the road you used is probably overgrown pretty badly by now.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 10, 2012 3:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: re: Fletcher name

I'm fairly certain we biked the road to the 2334T corner then walked the rest. There were some washouts on that west slope and we probably left the road just before the end. This was February 2006. After the climb the downhill bike ride was pretty fast so I think the road was good to the 2334 point.

It's funny how the Beckey guides become more and more marginalized as the Internet takes over. I hardly ever open my Beckey guides anymore but there once was a time.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Fletcher Peak (Canyon Peak)' main page