Forest Fires and Firefighting

Forest Fires and Firefighting

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Informational
I have seen the great images on Summit Post in the FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN album, most of them from a distance showing big columns of billowing smoke and glowing mountain sides, but here I'd like to give a glimpse into a much closer, more detailed look at these fires that frequent the lower slopes of the very mountains we all love. This is open to contributions, suggestions or questions about the content or wildfires themselves. At 60 years old I am on the threshold of working my 37th fire season, two with the US Forest Service and the rest of Washington State Department of Natural Resources. I am also a fire chief with Ferry County WA.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jan 19, 2012 7:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Cool

Neat album.

My hubby's a volunteer FF at Black Forest FD here in Colorado, but claim's he's "too old" for "that wildlands fire $hit."

PS: Don't forget to remove the "External Links" extraneous section. I'm happy to help if you're unsure how.

Cheers!

Sarah

foster fanning

foster fanning - Jan 19, 2012 11:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool

Hi Sarah, thanks for the comment. Congrats to your husband for filling a vital community role. I don't know anything about the external links so your assistance is welcome.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jan 19, 2012 11:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Cool

re: removing "External Links."

>>Go to Edit Page.
>>Go to the "External Links" section.
>>Delete BOTH the words "External Links" in the box titled "Section # Heading" AND the numeral for the box titled "Display Order."
>>Click submit at the bottom of the page.

This will clean things up a bit! Let me know if you're still having issues - happy to help!

Sarah

foster fanning

foster fanning - Jan 20, 2012 12:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool

Thanks again Sarah...

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 20, 2012 11:09 am - Voted 10/10

Great Album!

My dog and I were nearly trapped by a forest fire some fifteen years ago. I got to see those flames close up. Taking a photo, however, was the last thing on my mind.
Thank you for sharing,
Marc

foster fanning

foster fanning - Jan 27, 2012 4:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Album!

Marc, glad you made it out okay. Ten years ago there was a fire nearby on the Okanogan / Wenatchee National Forest where some campers did get caught in a rolling infreno with several firefighting crews. The campers made it through the entrapment okay by sharing fire shelters with some firefighters - nearby four other firefighters died. The 30 Mile Fire...

Viewing: 1-6 of 6