Forest Trail 100 Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
PeakMule

PeakMule - Jul 4, 2005 12:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Thanks for the great page on Atascosa Peak. I wanted to stop at the lookout cabin, so I followed the route you describe. But I also learned that the cairned route intersects FT 100 below the cabin, eliminating the nasty 1st hundred feet. The intersection is as described on the Geocache page (link in my summit log) for Atascosa Peak:



"Just after mile marker 2 ½ (broken sign) (at N31 25.283 W111 08.827), go left off the Atascosa Lookout trail onto a lighter trail. Follow this light trail for 1 ¼ miles with cairns to Atascosa Peak (N31 25.972 W111 08.815)."

richh - Jan 1, 2018 9:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Route Comment

On way up, found start of this bypass route below the lookout. Decided to go over lookout first, and try it on way back. Not really a trail left. You just follow others over and through brush (no thorns thankfully), or up or across steep loose dirt/rock. Tried to stay as close as possible to base of cliff. Eventually faced with long step along wall or 30-ft downclimb. My long reach made it possible. All to save 60 ft of reclimb. Wasn't worth it.

neutscoot - Mar 28, 2021 8:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Route Comment

I took this detour avoiding the lookout summit, and to state the opposing opinion, I found it worth it. True, it's not a "trail" by any means, but I was able to find a mostly clear corridor through the brush that cut off the summit regain. It's a very short section, maaaybe 100 yards, and although it's loose and sidehill it definitely saved me time and effort on the way back. I think that's the time to do it (i.e. when descending from the peak), because you get a better view of the route as you re-approach the lookout from the peak. I varied from 15-30 feet below the rock wall and didn't encounter the step described by richh.



Also, I wouldn't say the route from the lookout to Atascosa Peak is a "trail" or is "cairned," but there are cairns from time to time that proved helpful. Although the rocks in the saddle present interesting obstacles, virtually nothing is totally impassable and you can't go wrong staying generally on or near the ridge. Actual RT stats are closer to 7.1 miles and 2,650' vert.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Forest Trail 100' main page