Viewing: 1-9 of 9
JRB

JRB - Sep 23, 2013 6:04 am - Voted 10/10

Glad you are OK

Rock can be unforgiving. Happy to hear you came back with minor scrapes. It sounds like you know this but the leader should always protect after the hard moves so the follower will not pendulum. I couldn't tell from your TR how the route was protected. ;-)

Brian C

Brian C - Sep 23, 2013 1:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Good grief!

Sounds scary! Really glad you're ok!

BC

EastKing

EastKing - Sep 23, 2013 6:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Glad you are okay!!

Great TR!! Try not to make the next one so exciting though!!!

mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound - Sep 23, 2013 7:09 pm - Hasn't voted

bummer

Now imagine a lead fall...
A tip, take it or leave it: Wearing double knee Carhartt work pants prevents excessive skin loss. Also causes swamp crotch in warm weather though...

ywardhorner

ywardhorner - Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Yikes!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Following an unprotected traverse should not be underestimated. I know someone who broke his leg on a similar fall. I'm glad you weren't severely injured.

ExcitableBoy

ExcitableBoy - Sep 24, 2013 9:54 am - Voted 9/10

Nice

Nice TR and photos Josh. It is fun to relive the trips I did decades ago through you. When I climbed this it was the most difficult alpine rock route I had done. I remember little except for leading the finger crack near the summit and simu-rapping and racing the setting sun to get to the car before dark.

WyomingSummits

WyomingSummits - Sep 24, 2013 10:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Traverses

Glad you're alright! On traverses there is no "sharp end". You're going to take the fall to the next piece, regardless of which end of the rope you're on. :)

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Oct 10, 2013 6:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Report

Extremely well written. Intresting to hear what was going through your mind as all this went down. And glad everything worked out ok! Heck... you even made the summit! ;-)

And looks like good lessons aquired too!

Downy

Downy - Apr 11, 2014 9:53 am - Hasn't voted

5.7

You say you've only lead to 5.7? That can be a problem on a 5.8 climb,no?
Problem is everyone wants to run the marathon before they learn how to walk.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Fragile on the Edge: Climbing Burgundy Spire on Friday the 13th' main page