Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Aug 23, 2007 3:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool stuff

Thanks, Ryan. Hope you can get to the area soon.

Augie

bechtt

bechtt - Aug 24, 2007 10:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Another great trip

Glad you made it back to the Sierra with your busy schedule. Nice prominence with the pinnacle!

knkmom - Oct 18, 2007 6:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Great memories

Not a hiker, but looking for info on Mack Lake. A relative of mine was a pretty famous painter of California landscapes and when I was 5 (in 1958)I got to pick any picture she painted to keep. I picked Mack Lake because my favorite color was blue. Never paid any attention until now. Am planning a trip to California to visit some of her favorite sites and the art museum that has a lot of her work. Your pix of Mack Lake, "looking SE" of Aug. 14, '07 is it! Brought tears to my eyes! Beautiful. Thanks!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Oct 18, 2007 7:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great memories

I really appreciate your sharing that information with me. The lake is gorgeous and is in a gorgeous setting. Who was your relative and which art museum has her works? Will you be going to Sam Mack Lake? This is so cool: a choice at 5 years old kind of "connects up" on a mountaineering website nearly 50 years later!

Augie

P.S. My last name is Medina. Thought I'd throw that in there after noticing where you live.

knkmom - Oct 19, 2007 11:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Heading West

Evylena Nunn Miller was born 1888 and died 1966. Numerous degrees and art awards thoughout her lifetime. The Bowers Museum of Cultural Art, Santa Ana, has many of her works. They must be stored away as they said they would need to schedule a special viewing when we arrive. She traveled extensively around the world to paint, but I especially love her works from the Sierras, Western National Parks, and the California desert. Your photo of Sam Mack Lake is nearly the EXACT one that she painted all those years ago! As a child, I imagined the rock and snow formations in the picture to be animals, much like one "sees" shapes in clouds and there they were again in your photo! What a treasure!

We hope to visit CA next summer. Thanks for your kindness.

Jane

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Oct 21, 2007 12:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Heading West

Jane,

Thank you for your reply. The Bowers Museum is well known in southern California. If they ever put her works on general display, I would certainly go. I'm so thrilled to know my photo was the exact view she painted decades ago. Hope you do get to visit out here.

Best regards,

Augie

MelbaToast

MelbaToast - Jan 17, 2008 5:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Dad of the Year

Augie, when I was about 11 my family started going on annual backpaking trips to, you guessed it - Sam Mack Meadow! We got blisters, bug bites, and the first year even got rained out of our tube tents. It was the best time ever! The trips stopped when my parents got divorced a few years later but I went back with a girlfriend when I turned 18 and then just went again this past May. I am so grateful now for those trips. I'm not sure I'd have discovered climbing at age 40 and been able to appreciate hiking and camping now if it hadn't been for those glorious trips when we were kids. Yay! I called my dad the other day and thanked him for giving me the mountains and he actually cried. I hope you won't cry but if my experience is any indication, your kids will grow up and be very, very glad you took them to the Palisades!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Jan 17, 2008 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dad of the Year

Melba,

Thanks so much for sharing that background with me. That's the way you always hope it will work as a parent--that you'll plant a seed that your kids will nurture and maybe pass along to their kids. "Glorious trips" is exactly right. That was so neat that you called your Dad and thanked him.

Augie

P.S. My daughter put together a montage of photos from our Sam Mack trip in wooden frames and gave it to me for Xmas. That was so cool.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Frolick in the Palisades' main page