Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jul 21, 2010 5:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Congrats...

...on a successful and spectacular climb. Hey, did you mean Klondike was thirty feet across, not yards? That would be pretty impressive if you tossed the shoes 30 yards across the stream to Jan! I'm glad you got across with no troubles.

musicman82

musicman82 - Jul 21, 2010 5:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats...

I wish I had that kind of arm! No, the spot where we crossed was close to thirty yards, but I walked upstream to where it was much narrower to toss the shoes...

Thanks for reading - it was a great adventure! Look for your XTerra pic - I'm posting it here in a minute.

Tim

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jul 21, 2010 6:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Congrats...

Okay, I get it now. I was about to say-- if you could throw a pair of shoes with accuracy 30 yards across a stream, you should have been playing football, not music, so you could retire rich at 40 and climb whatever whenever!

I saw the Xterra pic. Pretty cool. In a shameless act of self-promotion, I voted 10 on it.

musicman82

musicman82 - Jul 21, 2010 8:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats...

Wouldn't that be the life! However, I bet that most football players are so beat up after a career that they couldn't take the climbing...

Thanks for the vote - pretty shameless, but I'd have done the same!

GaryPJ

GaryPJ - Jul 21, 2010 5:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Way to go!!!

Hi Tim,
I was just going onto Facebook to get in touch about our climb and saw your post. So I came to read the story. Well done man!
So, are you ready to bag the 2nd state highpoint of the year over Labor Day weekend? Looking forward to it. Shannon, however, will not be able to join us. Do you have anyone planning for the trip?
Gary

musicman82

musicman82 - Jul 21, 2010 8:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Way to go!!!

Thanks Gary! I responded on Facebook, so I won't repost here - looking forward to Granite!

musicman82

musicman82 - Jul 21, 2010 8:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats!

Thanks so much - it really is a great climb! I was so sorry to hear from Holsti97 that you couldn't make the trip - I hope everything is OK. Do you know if his group summited yet?

Tim

Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Jul 21, 2010 9:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Hey Tim............

Congrats to you and Jan!! Great report, sounded like things kind of went your way and that doesn't happen all that often.
Don't know what the success rate is, but making it on your 1st attempt has got to feel great!!
Thanks for sharing your experiences and photos!

musicman82

musicman82 - Jul 21, 2010 9:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hey Tim............

Thanks so much! We were definitely fortunate that everything came together for us; I've heard 1 out of 3 for a success rate, but I don't know how that breaks down for each of the different approaches. Thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed it!

Tim

TJ311

TJ311 - Jul 22, 2010 3:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Trip Report

Congrats on your summit! Really nice trip report and great pics! I hope to give Gannett a try one day!

musicman82

musicman82 - Jul 22, 2010 3:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Trip Report

Thanks so much! Best wishes on your attempt when you do it - it's an awesome peak!

Tim

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 22, 2010 10:30 pm - Voted 10/10

This TR brought back memories!

Great trip report and photos. I love your storytelling and attention to detail expressed here. I think you really help to demonstrate the essence of what it takes to summit this mountain. Gannett Peak was, and will continue to be, one of my all-time favorite mountaineering trips and accomplishments. Great job on summiting a great peak!

musicman82

musicman82 - Jul 23, 2010 12:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: This TR brought back memories!

Thanks so much for the kind words! I totally agree with you - this will probably always rank among my favorite climbs as well!

Tim

Holsti97

Holsti97 - Jul 23, 2010 1:07 am - Voted 10/10

Great to meet you....

on the trail. We had a successful summit of Gannett on July 19 and our experience was very similar to yours. It was a classic climb with stunning scenery along the Glacier Trail and views from the summit. Your nice pictures show that. Good job.

musicman82

musicman82 - Jul 23, 2010 1:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great to meet you....

Thanks so much - it was great to meet you too. Congrats on making it this time - I was so excited when I heard from Catamount that you'd reached the top! Good luck on the remaining climbs...

Tim

gmoney

gmoney - Jul 28, 2010 5:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Just Like I Was There

Tim,

Awesome trip report. Instead of writing my own I am just directing everyone who asks me about my trip to read yours!

Was great to meet up with you and Jan, as well as Holsti97 (Doug) and his crew. I also ran into a former colleague who was climbing Gannett with his son and friend as we descended off Arrow Pass. By the time we got to the trailhead the guys in my group thought I had some kind of following given that I had some connection to everyone on the Glacier trail.

Wish we could get out West more often. Now that we had some success with the Dubois approach we're playing with the idea of giving the Pinedale side another shot....someday. When you get to hitting the peaks out on the East Coast I am sure I can round up a few bodies to accompany you.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Gannett Peak: Success on the first try' main page