GERVASUTTI & CHABOD "BATTLE for the North FACE of the JORASSES"

GERVASUTTI & CHABOD "BATTLE for the North FACE of the JORASSES"

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

Giusto GERVASUTTI & Renato CHABOD from Emilius East Wall to BATTLE for North FACE JORASSES



Have fallen a few meters from the Summit, when victory seemed at hand.
Who was watching them from Laures, the old Hunting House by Baron Beck Peckoz Gressoney, he had not seen in a lot on the Top, and entering the haven for a moment, when he left them no longer had the convoy. Is it possible that they did so quickly get out? Instead, now lying at the base of the wall on the small Glacier Blantsette. Thus died falling Alexander "Dino" Charrey , brother Jean and Cino Norat. It was August 25th, 1929. Cino had touched an omen that he had left precise instructions to his secretary in his office for a letter left at a specific drawer. Since all three in their early twenties, lying in the little cemetery of St. Ours, behind the church and their aimed at Emilius. On their joint tombstone: "Face au Emilius homicide ici reposent ... Faced with the murderous Emilius here rest in peace" ... tells of a tragedy that shook the Town of Aosta, even more so because the sons of prominent families, and the entire world of climbing in Valley of Aosta. On the wall was extended an aura of inaccessibility and dreary horde of stormy night, almost from Walpurgis Night...
After the two ascents of the North Face of 1926 and 27 no one dared approach the Emilius, and, especially, in this damn wall. The following year he built a small Chapel on the hill above Lake Dessous with plaques that tell the companies in these three boys and eternalizes the horrible event. Right there, over against the silhouette of the East that shines the dawn of a blood red color, while the in the evening shadowy folds in on itself, almost cold and dark.
The misfortune is diluted over time, but not too much, since it was now the gauntlet has been thrown.

^

Pale & Somber
Lights on the East Wall

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Those two were sweating while in the late afternoon of June 25th, 1935 rose, after the train that had brought Giusto from Turin to Villefranche- Quart (that Fascism was renamed Villafranca despite local idiom and in spite also of the Romans Quartum Milium ab Urbe), going the beautiful, steep and strenuous muletrack that reaches from Grand Brissogne pleasant Walloon Laures. You sweat more when you climb to the Laures. They did them well, in spite of the thick green vegetation and lush cascades of water flowing down from the three magnificent lakes above. Sweating arrived at Lake Dessous or Lower and they rested in the shelter of the old Baron. Undisturbed, looking at the wall now dark, the sun had already passed by a little time. And while they dined, the shadows stretched longer and longer over the same. But the two people who were not swayed. Of course they also spoke of the brothers Charrey and Norat. But without conditions. People of mountain climbers and not only from the hard rind and a good character hardened by many vicissitudes and tested by many battles. Won or lost, but lived and grow in a way that gives them confidence in what they were doing and determination. One came from far away, from other parts of the Alps, the other by a valley closer to the foot of the Gran Paradiso. Despite these rough outlines, were men of culture and personality.
One was Giusto Gervasutti, one of the most well-known climbers in the world of Mountaineering.

It was "Il Fortissimo also The Very Strong".

His resume of the major first ascents says :
Aiguille Noire de Péuterey
Ridge South Brendel-Schaller 1930 Route, August 02/3th, 1933. Second climb absolute with Piero Zanetti, about 1120 metres.
Tour Ronde West Face Couloir Gervasutti, July 27th, 1934. First ascent with Renato Chabod, 320 metres.
Mount Blanc of Tacul East Face Gervasutti Gully, August 13th, 1934. With Renato Chabod, 800 metres.
Pic d' Olan Wall Northwest, August 23/24th, 1934. With Lucien Devies, 1100 metres.
Mount Emilius East Wall Via Gervasutti-Chabod, June 26th, 1935. With Renato Chabod, 500 metres.
Pic Adolphe Rey absolute first ascent through West Edge, July 16th, 1935. With Gabriele Boccalatte, Ninì Pietrasanta and Renato Chabod, about 95 metres from the homonym Brèche.
Pic Pierre Gaspard Ridge South, August 30/31th, 1935. With Lucien Devies, 700 metres.
Ailefroide West Wall Route Devies-Gervasutti, July 23/24th, 1936. With Lucien Devies, 1050 metres.
Punta Gian Battista e Giuseppe F. Gugliermina Wall and Southwest Edge Via Gervasutti-Boccalatte, August 17/18th, 1938. With Gabriele Boccalatte, 620 metres.
Mount Blanc of Courmayeur Pylon Right of Freney Route Gervasutti-Bollini, August 13th, 1940. With Paolo Bollini Predosa, 730 metres.
Grandes Jorasses East Wall Via Gervasutti-Gagliardone, August 16/17th, 1942. With Giuseppe Gagliardone, 570 metres.
Pic Adolphe Rey South Wall Via Gervasutti-Panei, August 1943. With Gigi Panei, 250 metres.
Petit Capucin of Tacul East Wall Route Gervasutti, August 16th, 1946. With Carlo Arnoldi and Giuseppe Gagliardone, 280 metres.



"More and more, wrapped in her Mysteries & Ghosts"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *




The other Renato Chabod of Aosta Town, but the original of Savaranche Valley
, was one of the climbers ice among the strongest in the world. Equipped with a powerful physique and a wrist of steel, he was also one of the most famous mountain climbers. Nine years earlier, in '26, had traced the first route on the North Face of Mount Emilius but in an incomplete way, but then "attracted to other mountains", write Amilcare Crétier and Lino Binel in "RM 1928", page 270, had missed the appointment of the following to correct the route. With these great adventures will rise first and the South-east of Mount Maudit August 04th, 1929, along the Pillar Via, still respected and feared. In 1930, July 11th, again with Amilcare and Luigi Bon had made ​​the first ascent of the Northwest Face of Gran Paradiso, a slide glacial of 600 meters. He had also rose for the first time ever the Tower of Jorasses via the South Ridge, August 5th, 1931, with Piero Zanetti, Gabriele Boccalatte and Guido De Rege Donato, and made ​​a beautiful route with Aimé Grivel on iced and stunning North Face of the Aiguille Blanche of Péuterey more than 750 metres along the East Edge of the hanging serac, September 4th, 1933.

"North of Aiguille Blanche de Péuterey a Masterpiece by Renato Chabod"




With Giusto, instead, July 27th, 1934, had climbing on the Western Little Gully West Wall of the Tour Ronde. Moreover, August 13th, 1934 had risen directly from the Glacier du Géant the great Northeast Couloir that leads to the Eastern Summit of Mount Blanc of Tacul (4247m), as if to correct the Via Piero Filippi, Francesco Ravelli and Piero Ghiglione of September 1th, 1929 coming out of the right branch (North) of the large funnel, thus avoiding the dangerous crossing under the seracs on the left. But already in the following year, August 31th, 1930, along with Renato Guido Antoldi, Gabriele Boccalatte, Matteo Gallo and Piero Ghiglione had gone up to the Couloir du Diable (Devil's Gully) and the Southeast wall.
The East had found bread for his teeth!

"At East Wall"




The next morning they woke up in good time at 3 o'clock and, prepared backpacks, we set off for the East skirted the Lac Dessous, then began to climb the moraine below the Glacier Blantsette. Boring, tiring and steep but, being still the month of June, soon found the snow and the ascent became less stressful, but very slowly because, being spring, sank to half of the leg. Once at the base, climbed the first 100 metres of steep snowfield enough but with good snow, bringing the rock wall just after 5 am. Against the rocks took off their boots and you put your shoes or "varappes" (special and small canvas shoes for climbing), then attacked more or less in the center of the wall rocks through not difficult, with steps, sometimes covered with gravel.
They went in the middle and then reached to the left "pulpit" and perhaps too much going in that direction yet passed reddish plaques and then return to center ending in a beautiful manner with the last pitch of 30 metres directly to the rope using second of only two, perhaps, nails of the day (was driven into wall).
From "RM 1935", p. 562: "... We reached the signal directly with a final passage difficult and tiring of about 30 m. (Two nails, one of which was driven, but the rock was wet as there are still snow on the summit) ... (the climb can be considered IV° superior), even regardless of the conditions in which the found ... ".
He also conceded a break in the wall to get a snack from 7.45 'to 8.25'. But there were two champions ... The descent with 3000 metres of differance in level, however, was a torture for them and Gervasutti in "Climbing in the Alps", Edited by S.E.I. Turin in 1961, the thought was "up to Quart Praetoria-endless", using a mixture of French and Latin in order not to hurt anyone.
But the East was made. A nasty surprise awaited them. It was the revenge of the East?

* * *


"More & more to Face"




* * *


Caddero a pochi metri dalla Sommità, quando la vittoria sembrava ormai in pugno. Chi li osservava dalle Laures, dalla vecchia Casa di Caccia del Barone di Gressoney Beck Peckoz, li aveva visti a non molto dalla Sommità, ed entrando per un attimo nel rifugio, quando se n'era uscito non li aveva più scorti. Possibile che avessero fatto così velocemente ad uscire? Invece ormai giacevano alla base della parete sul piccolo Ghiacciaio Blantsette. Così perirono Alessandro "Dino" Charrey, il fratello Jean e Cino Norat. Era il 25 di Agosto 1929. Un presagio aveva toccato Cino, tale da far lui lasciare precise indicazioni alla segretaria del suo ufficio d'una lettera posta in preciso cassetto. Da allora tutti e tre poco più che ventenni, giacciono nel piccolo cimitero di Sant'Orso, dietro la chiesa e proprio rivolti all'Emilius. Sulla lor lapide comune: "Face au Emilius homicide ici reposent ..." racconta d'una tragedia sconvolgente per la Città di Aosta, ancor più poiché figli di famiglie importanti, e di tutto il mondo dell'Alpinismo della Valle di Aosta intera. Sulla parete s'estese un tetro alone di inaccessibilità e di tregenda, un sabbath malefico ...
Dopo le due salite della Parete Nord del 1926 e 27 nessun più osò avvicinarsi all'Emilius e, soprattutto, a questa maledetta parete. L'anno appresso costruiron una Cappelletta sul promontorio sopra il Lago Dessous con le lapidi raccontanti le imprese di questi tre ragazzi e che eternano l'orribil evento. Proprio lì, dirimpetto alla sagoma della Est che all'alba riluce d'un rosso color sangue, mentre al tramonto si ripiega su se stessa ombrosa, quasi fredda e tenebrosa.
La disgrazia si diluì nel tempo, ma non troppo, poiché il guanto della sfida era ormai stato gettato.

"East Wall from East"




Sudavan quei due mentre nel tardo pomeriggio del 25 Giugno 1935 salivano, dopo che il treno che aveva portato Giusto da Torino a Villefranche-Quart (che il Fascismo aveva ribattezzato Villafranca a dispetto dell'idioma locale ed in barba anche al Quartum Milium ab Urbe dei Romani), salivan la bella, ripida e faticosa mulattiera che da Grand Brissogne raggiunge l'ameno Vallone delle Laures. Si suda sempre quando si va sù alle Laures. Lo fecero pur loro, a dispetto della verde e folta vegetazione e delle rigogliose cascate dell'acque che discendono dai tre magnifici laghi soprastanti. Sudando arrivaron al Lago Dessous o di Sotto e si riposaron nel vecchio rifugio del Barone. Indisturbati, guardando l'ormai scura parete, che il sole aveva già declinato da un pò di tempo. E mentre cenavano, l'ombre si distendevan sempre più lunghe sopra la medesima. Ma i due non eran gente da lasciarsi influenzare. Certo, parlavan anche dei fratelli Charrey e di Norat. Ma senza condizionamenti. Uomini di montagna e non soltanto alpinisti, dalla scorza dura e con carattere ben temprato da molte vicissitudini e collaudato da molte battaglie. Vinte o perse, ma vissute e tali da far crescere in loro certezza in quello che facevano e determinazione. Uno veniva da lontano, dall'altra parti delle Alpi, l'altro da una valle più vicina ai piedi del Gran Paradiso. Nonostante questi rudi profili, uomini di cultura e di grande personalità.

Un'era Giusto Gervasutti, uno dei più conosciuti arrampicatori nel mondo dell'Alpinismo.

Era "Il Fortissimo".
Il suo curriculum delle principali prime salite dice:
Aiguille Noire de Péuterey Cresta Sud Via del 1930 Brendel-Schaller, Agosto 02/3, 1933. Seconda salita assoluta con Piero Zanetti, 1120 metri circa.
Tour Ronde Parete Ovest Couloir Gervasutti, Luglio 27, 1934. Prima salita con Renato Chabod, 320 metri.
Mount Blanc of Tacul Parete Est Couloir Gervasutti, Agosto 13 1934. Con Renato Chabod, 800 metri.
Pic d'Olan Parete Nordovest, Agosto 23-24, 1934. Con Lucien Devies, 1100 metri.
Monte Emilius Parete Est Via Gervasutti-Chabod, Giugno 26, 1935. Con Renato Chabod, 500 metri.
Pic Adolphe Rey prima ascensione assoluta tramite Spigolo Ovest, Luglio 16 luglio 1935. Con Gabriele Boccalatte, Nini Pietrasanta, Renato Chabod, 95 metri circa dall'omonima Brèche.
Pic Pierre Gaspard Cresta Sud, Agosto 30/31, 1935. Con Lucien Devies, 700 metri.
Ailefroide Parete Ovest Via Devies-Gervasutti, Luglio 23/24 1936. Con Lucien Devies, 1050 metri.
Punta Gian Battista e Giuseppe F. Gugliermina Parete e Spigolo Sudovest Via Gervasutti-Boccalatte, Agosto 17/18, 1938 - Prima salita con Gabriele Boccalatte, 620 metri.
Monte Bianco di Courmayeur Pilone di Destra del Freney Via Bollini-Gervasutti, Agosto 13, 1940. Con Paolo Bollini della Predosa, 730 metri.
Grandes Jorasses Parete Est Via Gervasutti-Gagliardone, Agosto 16/17, 1942. Con Giuseppe Gagliardone, 570 metri.
Pic Adolphe Rey Parete Sud Via Gervasutti-Panei, Agosto 1943. Con Gigi Panei, 250 metri.
Petit Capucin Parete Est Via Gervasutti, Agosto 16, 1946. Con Carlo Arnoldi e Giuseppe Gagliardone, 280 metri.

"Eastern Face with Eastern View"




L'altro Renato Chabod d'Aosta, ma originario della Savarenche


, era un degli scalatori in ghiaccio tra i più forti al mondo. Dotato d'un fisico possente e di un polso di acciaio, era pur lui tra i più famosi alpinisti. Nove anni prima, nel '26, aveva tracciato la prima via sulla Parete Nord dell'Emilius ma in modo incompleto, ma poi "attratto da altri monti", scrivono Amilcare Crétier e Lino Binel nella "RM 1928", pag. 270, era mancato all'appuntamento dell'anno successivo, il 4 di Agosto, per corregger l'itinerario. Con questi avrà grandi avventure e salirà per primo la Sudest del Mont Maudit, lungo la Via del Pilastro, ancor oggi rispettata e temuta. Nel 1930, 11 di Luglio, sempre con Amilcare e Luigi Bon aveva effettuato la prima salita della Parete Nordovest del Gran Paradiso, uno scivolo glaciale di 600 metri. Inoltre aveva salito per la prima volta assoluta la Tour des Jorasses tramite la Cresta Sud, il 5 di Agosto 1931 con Piero Zanetti, Gabriele Boccalatte e Guido De Rege di Donato, nonché realizzato una bella via glaciale con Aimé Grivel sulla splendida Parete Nord dell'Aiguille Blanche de Péuterey di oltre 750 metri percorrendo l'orlo ad Est del seracco sospeso, il 4 settembre 1933.
Insieme, invece, al Giusto il 27 Luglio 1934 avevano percorso l'angusto Canalino della Parete Ovest della Tour Ronde. Mentre il 13 Agosto 1934 avevan salito direttamente dal Glacier du Géant il grande Canalone Nordest adducente alla Cima Orientale del Mont Blanc du Tacul (4247 m), quasi a volere corregger la Via di Piero Filippi, Piero Ghiglione e Francesco Ravelli del 1 Settembre 1929 che usciva nel ramo di destra (Nord) del grande imbuto, così evitando la pericolosissima traversata sotto i seracchi sulla sinistra. Ma già nell' anno successivo, il 31 di Agosto del '30, Renato insieme a Guido Antoldi, Gabriele Boccalatte, Matteo Gallo e Piero Ghiglione era salito pel Couloir du Diable (Canalone del Diavolo) e la Parete Sudest.
La Est avea trovà pan pei suoi denti!

"The Pulpit"




La mattina seguente si svegliaron di buon'ora e, affardellati gli zaini, si misero in cammino verso la Est alle ore 3.00. Aggirarono il Lac Dessous, poi presero a salire la morena sottostante il Ghiacciaio Blantsette. Noiosa, faticosa nonché ripida ma, essendo ancora il mese di Giugno, presto trovaron neve e la salita diventò meno logorante, però, essendo ch'era molle, affondavan di mezza gamba. Giunti alla base, risalirono i primi 100 metri di nevaio abbastanza ripidi portandosi alla parete rocciosa appena dopo le ore 5. Contro le rocce tolsero gli scarponi e calzarono le "varappes" (scarpette da arrampicata); poi attaccaron più o meno nel centro della parete tramite rocce non difficili, a gradoni, a volte ricoperti da ghiaia. Saliron nel mezzo poi raggiunsero verso sinistra "il pulpito" ed esagerando forse troppo in quella direzione superaron delle placche rossastre per poi rientrar al centro terminando in bellezza con l'ultimo tiro di corda di 30 metri direttamente alla Cima utilizzando,il secondo dei due unici, forse, chiodi di giornata (rimasto infisso in parete).
Da "RM 1935", pag. 562: " ... Raggiungemmo direttamente il segnale con un ultimo passaggio difficile e faticoso di circa 30 m. (due chiodi, di cui uno rimasto infisso, però la roccia era bagnata essendovi ancora neve sulla vetta) ... (la salita si può considerare di IV° superiore), anche a prescindere delle condizioni in cui la trovammo ... ".
Si concessero anche una sosta per far 'no spuntino dalle 7,45' alle 8,25'. Ma eran due fuoriclasse ... La discesa con 3000 metri di dislivello fu però anche per lor supplizio e Gervasutti in "Scalate nelle Alpi", Editato a Torino dalla S.E.I. nel 1961 la ritenne "interminabile fino a Quart Praetoria", usando un misto di francese e di latino per non far torto a nessuno.
Ma la Est era fatta. Una brutta sorpresa però li attendeva. Era la vendetta della Est?

* * *


"The Sun of Summit"




* * *

Breathless Race to the Jorasses

^ ^

incredibly "Almost Sunny" North Wall

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *




Once in the house welcomes them bad news: surprise the Germans Martin Meier and Rudolf Peters June 27th had risen to the Refuge Leschaux and 28th had attacked the unclimbed North Face of the Grandes Jorasses, which was, along with the North and the Matterhorn that of the Eiger, one of the last three major problems climbing in the Alps the long-awaited. "Wanda", as he called Hamilcar was likely to succumb to the assault. Other than the East Emilius to train to climb the same! The Germans, playing in advance, they had been ripped off. It was a breathless race in Chamonix, Leschaux Hut and the wall, but both the 28/29th had already made ​​the climb along the Spur of the Pointe Michel Croz (4108m), after passing the dihedral, crux, bolting furiously and using the same nails as handholds. A scandal for the time, but also a resounding success, although the Walker Spur of the North, the highest, still remained inviolate. He had to settle for second ascent realized that 1/2th July followed right behind by Switzerland Guide Raymond Lambert along with good Loulou Boulaz; few more days and will be the turn of the Austrians Toni Mehsmer and Ludwig Steinauer, the 7/8/9th of July. The 1935 was really the year of the North Face of the Great Jorasses and will need to wait for the 4/5/6th August 1938 capitulate to see the Walker Spur by three Italians, Luigi Esposito, Ugo Tizzoni led by very strong Riccardo Cassin, a another myth that era, after the success on North Wall of Pizzo Badile and in the Dolomites was to impose its class even in the Western Alps. Instead, to find a further climb on the Croz Spur you will have to wait until July 4th, 1949 with a new generation of strong climbers four Aspirants Guides J. Brechu, G. Michel, A. Muller, P. Revel with exceptional Mountain Guides Louis Lachenal and Gaston Rebuffat , this last with the other Chamonix Guide Edouard Frendo on 14/15/16th July 1945 had already made the first repeat of Walker. This, in outline, the history of the North of the Grandes Jorasses, the wall that had fascinated and deluded generations of mountaineers and Gervasutti and Chabod had lost by a narrow margin, going to train on the East Emilius.

"The true & bleak face of the North"




* * *


Born in Cervignano of Friuli (UD) April 17th, 1909 and and then moved to Turin to study, Giusto die on Mont Blanc de Tacul (4248m) on that Pilier Northeast that now bears his name, September 16th, 1946, due to an error made ​​during a rappel, and his companion Joseph Gagliardone saw him fall to his side without power to do anything, because with him ran the two strings. During descent had risen again to angle out a node and in a hurry due to the bad weather on the way, probably had grabbed one sole of the two ropes. The same pillar will have risen by Piero Fornelli and Giovanni Mauro on July 29/30th 1951 again who found the pick by Giusto. With him closed another page on the Italian Mountaineering and world, as the Turin had marked an era. An important Mountaineering School of Turin passed on, and rightly so, his imperishable memory. Renato ended with the mountain writing books and becoming a good painter and started his profession as a lawyer; in addition he held the post of a Senator of the Republic for ten years, since 1958 until 1968. Born in Aosta, July 28th, 1909, died in Ivrea Town, January 22th, 1990. Captain of the Alpine Troops, a Partisan fighter, Aosta Valley Regional Council, Mayor of Courmayeur since 1965 to 1967, he was also President of the Guides of the Aosta Valley. Besides, he became President of the C.A.I. National since 1965 until 1971 and of C.A.A.I. (Italian Academic Alpine Club) since 1975 until 1979; from this last year became an Honorary Member of the CAI. I had the honor of knowing him when meeting me in court in 1979, without having met me before, I greeted her: "Oh, my friend Cardellina". I had just written the book "Guide of Mount Emilius", 1978 invitation to young people picking up what he had voiced in the preface of his "Guide of Gran Paradiso", 1939, 1963, and 1980 in order to complete the missing parts that he, for reasons of space, had excluded. I picked up the baton and he had immediately acknowledged his greeting with giving me the greatest of honors. But more than I had gathered the young Pietro "Piero" Rosset and Franco Garda in the Summer of 1946 had gone to perform the first repetition the East and "Agostino" Zulian that in September 05th, 1961 he made ​​the first solo ascent. The first winter by the strong Abele Blanc and Carlo Lucianaz carried out in January 01/2, 1989 end and close, perhaps, forever the history of this wall that will never become fashionable because, as evidenced by the poor ten times that has been rising, will always get the same pitfalls and difficulties due to the dangerous quality of the rock and the difficulty of making a good safety.
Says my friend Piero: "Put a nail was a shame, but when one fell, they fell all." Other times, men of honor. Deeply wrong, because, says Piero: "Angel in the bag when I saw recover from death at the foot of the Fauteil des Allemands Noire, as a small chamois, I learned to hate the Mountain."
The same who faced tragedy in their Three Boys in 1929. In the end nothing had changed accounts ...

"And his stern Profile"




* * *


Giunti a casa 'na brutta notizia li accoglie: a sorpresa i tedeschi Martin Meier e Rudolf Peters il 27 Giugno eran saliti alla Capanna Leschaux ed il 28 avevan attaccato l'inviolata Parete Nord delle Grandes Jorasses
, che costituiva, insieme alla Nord del Cervino ed a quella dell'Eiger, uno dei tre ultimi grandi problemi alpinistici delle Alpi. La tanto agognata "Wanda", come la chiamava Amilcare, rischiava di ceder all'assalto. Altro che Est dell'Emilius per allenarsi alla salita della medesima! I tedeschi, giocando d'anticipo, li avevan fregati. Fu una corsa affannata a Chamonix, Capanna Leschaux e parete, ma i due il 28/29 avevano ormai realizzato la salita lungo lo Sperone della Punta Michel Croz (4108 m), dopo aver superato il diedro, passaggio chiave, chiodando furiosamente ed utilizzando gli stessi come appigli. Uno scandalo per l'epoca, ma anche un clamoroso successo, anche se lo Sperone Nord della Walker, la più alta, restava ancor inviolato. Si dovettero accontentare della seconda salita che realizzarono il 1/2 Luglio seguiti subito dietro dalla Guida Svizzera Raymond Lambert insieme alla brava Loulou Boulaz; ancora qualche giorno e sarà la volta degli austriaci Toni Mehsmer e Ludwig Steinauer, il 7/8/9 Luglio. Il 1935 era proprio l'anno della Parete Nord delle Jorasses e sarà necessario attender il 4/5/6 di Agosto del 1938 per vedere capitolar lo Sperone Walker da parte di tre italiani, Luigi Esposito, Ugo Tizzoni guidati dal forte Riccardo Cassin, un altro mito dell'epoca che, dopo i successi sulla Nord del Pizzo Badile e nelle Dolomiti, veniva ad impor la sua classe anche sulle Alpi Occidentali. Invece per trovare un'ulterior salita sullo Sperone Croz si dovrà attendere il 4 Luglio 1949 con una nuova generazione di forti alpinisti: i quattro Aspiranti Guida J. Brechu, G. Michel, A. Muller, P. Revel con le eccezionali Guide Louis Lachenal e Gaston Rebuffat; quest'ultimo con l'altra Guida di Chamonix Edouard Frendo il 14/15/16 Luglio 1945 aveva già effettuato la prima ripetizione della Walker. Questa, a grandi linee, la storia tratteggiata della Nord delle Grandes Jorasses, quella parete che aveva affascinato ed illuso generazioni d'alpinisti e che Gervasutti e Chabod avevan perso per un soffio, andando ad allenarsi sulla Est dell'Emilius.

Walker & Croz E'perons

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *




* * * * * * *

Nato a Cervignano del Friuli (UD) il 17 Aprile 1909 e poi trasferitosi in Torino per motivi di studio, Giusto morirà al Mont Blanc de Tacul (4248 m) su quel Pilier Nordest che oggi porta il suo nome, il 16 Settembre 1946, per un errore effettuato durante una doppia; il suo compagno Giuseppe Gagliardone lo vide precipitare a fianco senza nulla poter fare, poiché insieme a lui scorrevan le due corde. In fase di discesa era salito nuovamente per disincastrare un nodo e, nella fretta causa il maltempo in arrivo, probabilmente aveva afferrato una sola delle due corde. Lo stesso pilastro sarà salito da Piero Fornelli e Giovanni Mauro il 29/30 Luglio 1951 i quali ritrovaron ancora la piccozza di Giusto. Con lui si chiudeva un'altra pagina d'Alpinismo italiano e mondiale, poiché il torinese aveva contrassegnato un'epoca. Un'importante Scuola di Alpinismo di Torino tramanda, giustamente, la sua imperitura memoria. Renato terminò con la montagna scrivendo libri e diventando un bravo pittore ed iniziando la sua professione d'avvocato; ricoprì anche l'incarico di Senatore della Repubblica per dieci anni, dal 1958 al 1968. Nato ad Aosta il 28 Luglio 1909, morì in Ivrea il 22 Gennaio 1990. Capitano degli Alpini, Partigiano combattente, Consigliere regionale valdostano, Sindaco di Courmayeur dal 1965 al 1967, fu anche Presidente delle Guide della Valle di Aosta. Inoltre diventò Presidente del C.A.I. Nazionale dal 1965 al 1971 e del C.A.A.I. dal 1975 al 1979; da quest'ultimo anno diventò Socio Onorario del C.A.I. Ebbi l'onore di conoscerlo quando incontrandomi in tribunale nel 1979, senza avermi conosciuto precedentemente, mi salutò così: "Oh, il mio amico Cardellina!". Avevo appena scritto il libro "Guida del Monte Emilius", 1978, raccogliendo quell'invito ai giovani che aveva esternato nella Prefazione della sua "Guida del Gran Paradiso", 1939, 1963 e 1980, onde completar le parti mancanti che lui, per ragion di spazio, aveva escluso. Avevo raccolto il testimone e lui l'aveva immediatamente recepito dandomi con quel saluto il più grande dei riconoscimenti. Ma più di me l'avevan raccolto i giovani Pietro "Piero" Rosset e Franco Garda che nell'Estate del 1946 eran andati ad effettuar la prima ripetizione della Est e da "Agostino" Zulian che il 5 di Settembre del 1961 ne aveva compiuto la prima solitaria. L'invernale dei forti Abele Blanc e Carlo Lucianaz effettuata in Gennaio 01/2, 1989 chiuderà forse per sempre la storia di questa parete che non diventerà mai di moda poiché, come testimonia quella scarsa decina di volte nelle quali é stata salita, sempre proporrà le stesse insidie e difficoltà, dovute alla pericolosa qualità della roccia ed alle difficoltà d'effettuar una buona assicurazione. Dice il mio amico Piero: "Metter un chiodo era un'onta, ma quando uno cadeva, fiorettavano tutti". Altri tempi, di uomini d'onore. Profondamente sbagliati, perché, dice ancora Piero: "quando vidi recuperare Angelo nel sacco di morte ai piedi del Fauteil des Allemands alla Noire, come un piccolo camoscio, imparai ad odiare la Montagna".
Le stesse che affrontarono nella loro tragedia i Tre Ragazzi del 1929. Alla fin fine dei conti null'era cambiato ...

NORTH FACE

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *




* * * * * * *

postscript number Nine

"Exit out"




* * *


Sometimes I wonder why I write about these things. The answer is very simple: do not I know. I know for a fact that I was born June 26th, 1949, the same day of the same month that Giusto and Renato were winning the East Wall, but in 1949; that exactly is twenty years later that the Charrey and Norat fell by him in 1929. My Father, he 's Giusto, he was born in the 19th day of 1916, but six is nothing more than a Nine-inverted. My Mother Di Bella Antonia, said Anna, was born September 19th, or Nine in 1919. He died on the 19th day of the Ninth month, that is September . My dear friends Ilario Antonio Garzotto and Gianni Junod have fallen 29 Nine 1969. My friend "Crevassino" was born in 1949, three days before me. I always did it weigh, and died on 16th, but increasingly we know six is a Nine-flipped. Even Antonio was born in 1949. Giusto Gervasutti was born in 1909 and died on September 16th, 1946, you are still upside down and Nine. Renato Chabod was born in 1909 and is finished in '18 when the First World War, both had Nine years ...
I was easier to write the article above that this Postscript. Of this and think about what you want to do to him what you think is best.
Always Nine! Good Evening Gentlemen ...

"Then down tonight brings to mind memories blacks"


Old Images
<b>From <font color=purple>Salés Pass</font> (3308m)<b>
Old Images
<b><font color=green>EMILIUS</font> (3559m) from <font color=green>LEPPE s Point</font> or from <font color=blue>Southeast</font> and <font color=blue>Laures s Higher Lake</font></b>
Old Images


* * *


A volte mi chiedo del perché scrivo di codeste cose. La risposta é facilissima: non lo sò.
Sò per certo che son nato il 26 del Giugno del 1949, nello stesso giorno dello stesso mese nel quale Giusto e Renato vincevano la Parete Est, ma del 1949; cioé esattamente vent'anni dopo che i Charrey e Norat cadevano dalla medesima, nel 1929. Mio Padre, anche lui Giusto, é nato nel giorno 19 del 1916, ma il sei altri non é che un Nove rovesciato. Mia Madre Di Bella Antonia detta Anna era nata il 19 di Settembre, ovvero Nove, del 1919. Morì il 19 del mese Nono, cioé Settembre. I miei cari amici Ilario Antonio Garzotto e Gianni Junod son caduti il 29 del Nove 1969. Il mio amico "Crevassino" é nato nel 1949, tre giorni prima di me. Me l'ha sempre fatto pesare, ed é morto il 16, ma vieppiù si sà il sei é un Nove alla rovescia. Anche Antonio é nato nel 1949. Giusto Gervasutti é nato nel 1909, ed é morto di 16 Settembre 1946, ancora sei rovesciato e Nove e sempre Nove all'incontrario. Anche Renato Chabod é nato nel 1909 e quand'é finita nel '18 la Prima Guerra Mondiale, entrambi avevan Nove anni ...
Mi é stato più facile scrivere l'articolo di cui sopra che questo Post Scriptum. Pensatene quel che volete e fatene ciò che meglio ritenete.
Nove sempre! Sera Signori ...

Waiting & Climbing on EAST FACE

from Surroundings with Views East & Northeast


33 ROUTES  of the <font color=green><b>MONTE EMILIUS </font>(3559m) <FONT COLOR=BLUE>EAST FACE, NEW ROUTE in right</FONT></B>
<b>33 ROUTES of the <font color=green> MONTE EMILIUS (3559m) <font color=blue>EAST FACE</font> , new route</b>
Emilius s  in the SUMMIT and Surroundings EMOTIONS & SUGGESTIONS 17th, at sunset
All Routes & Variants The Night before East Wall 1969
<font color=purple><b>Emilius s in the SUMMIT </b></font>& Surr. <font color=red>EMO</font> &<font color=purple><b> SUGGESTIONS   The DARK FACE</b></font>


* * *


Parfois je me demande pourquoi j'écris ces choses. La réponse est très simple: je sais pas.
Je sais pertinemment que je suis né le 26 Juin 1949, le jour et le mois mêmes où Giusto et Renato gagnaient le mur Est, mais en 1949; c'est exactement vingt ans plus tard que le Charrey et Norat tombés par lui en 1929. Mon Père , lui aussi Giusto, il est né au 19ème jour de 1916 , mais six n'est rien de plus qu'un Neuf inversé . Ma mère Di Bella Antonia, dit Anna, est né le 19 Septembre, ou Neuf en 1919. Elle est morte le 19 jour du Neuvième mois, qui est Septembre. Mes chers amis Ilario Antonio Garzotto et Gianni Junod ont chuté de 29 Septembre (Neuf) 1969. Mon ami "Crevassino" est né en 1949, trois jours avant moi. M'a toujours fait peser le fait en insistant sur ces trois jours plus d'expérience, et il est mort le 16, mais toujours plus il est reconnu que six est un Neuf renversé. Même Antonio est né en 1949. Giusto Gervasutti est né en 1909 et décédé le 16 Septembre (Neuf) 1946, vous êtes toujours à l'envers et Neuf et Neuf et encore une fois Neuf. Renato Chabod est né en 1909 et comme Giusto en '18 quand termine la Première Guerre Mondiale, les deux à la fois avait Neuf des années ...
Il étais plus facile d'écrire l'article ci-dessus que ce Post-scriptum. Vous croyez ce que vous voulez et faites ce que vous pensez mieux.
Toujours Neuf ... Soir Messieurs!

Climbing on EAST WALL

from Surroundings with Views East & Northeast


MONTE EMILIUS Exit Out from N-NE Edge
La parete....
EMILIUS s E WALL in the middle
<b><font color=green>EMILIUS </FONT>(3559m) <FONT COLOR=GREEN>PERFECT PYRAMID</font > <font color=blue><i>Winter</i> East <i>&</i> North <i>Walls</i></font></b>
MONTE EMILIUS NE Edge Exit Out up to E Wall


* * *

THE GREATS


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *





Comments

No comments posted yet.