Viewing: 1-6 of 6

kindofalongwaydown - Mar 11, 2006 11:16 pm - Voted 9/10

Nice!!

Countless times I've made that same trek. Mount Hardy is the only sixer in that area I have not summited. There is no surefire way to the top, and trust me, I've been on all sides of Hardy. With the weather warming up here, I'm making it and a second trip up cold mountain the main goal for this summer.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Mar 12, 2006 3:32 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks!

I love that area. One thing I'd like to do sometime is bushwhack to that waterfall that you can see from the Mountains to Sea Trail. I suspect it's the highest elevation waterfall in the eastern USA.

Theonestar

Theonestar - Jul 28, 2007 12:01 am - Voted 10/10

Oh Bob!

I admit the first part of your story was quite humorous (not the waking in pain part though), but then came the part of your poor bloody legs and I felt terrible for you. At least you had one good look at the stars. Thanks for the story-it was a good read!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jul 28, 2007 5:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Oh Bob!

Stupid me. For someone who hikes as much as I do, I have a really, really, really lousy sense of direction. (Also, my wife has gotten much better about me leaving for solo hikes since then.)

MikeYunker - Jul 18, 2008 4:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Classic Shining Rock-Middle Prong Story, Love it!

I love this story, Bob. Reminds me so much of my own trips to the area. Is there any water available near the meadow where you made camp? I'm curious because I'm about to try through hiking from Mountains-to-the-Sea at 215 to Sunburst Campground, further north off of 215. This would involve hiking the entirety of Green Knob Ridge, a difficult five-mile stretch. Also, could you park a car where Mountains-to-the-Sea intersects 215?

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jul 19, 2008 9:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Classic Shining Rock-Middle Prong Story, Love it!

Thanks!

First of all, yes, you can car park there. Room for a few cars.

No, there was no water there. There was water about a mile back on the MTS Trail. I took plenty with me. There's no water at all on Green Knob, that I know of. You can hear a lot of it flowing in nearby streams, but far downslope.

If you park at 215 and hike down to Sunburst, are you going to hike back? Tough hike. Not so bad going down to Sunburst, but very tough heading back up.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Gettin' Lost in Middle Prong Wilderness' main page