Viewing: 1-20 of 33
12
rhyang

rhyang - Aug 18, 2006 4:39 pm - Voted 10/10

yikes !

Sorry to hear about the accident Dirk, but glad that you are ok !

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 18, 2006 5:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: yikes !

Thanks for the support, Rob.

rpc

rpc - Aug 18, 2006 5:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Yeah...

...sorry to hear about the accident & glad to hear you're OK!!

Did not read the TR before I commented on your injury summaries photo - please don't get offended by my stupid jokes (did not realize what you went thru. in that shot).

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 18, 2006 5:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yeah...

Don't worry, Radek- that shot was supposed to be somewhat self-deprecating, though the recovery comments were accurate :)

Misha

Misha - Aug 18, 2006 5:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Man....

I know that face well! We tried a route or two on its right side. There is a good reason why it is not climbed often. I am thrilled that you managed to escape relatively unscaved!

How did that Russell climb go?

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 18, 2006 5:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Man....

Thanks, Misha. Had to turn back at the notch on the Fishhook (f'ing awesome climbing up until then, though!)- permit issues, as you know :( Will tell you about it next time we hang out. Some sweet Alaska shots, too- will vote on them soon! How was your guys' backpacking trip?

Samantha

Samantha - Aug 18, 2006 6:36 pm - Voted 10/10

whew!

Thanks for the report Dirk, and I am very glad that you apparently have the kiss of god on your forehead. Hope you heal quick and never forget your f(*&ing helmet again, especially if you insist on climbing such radical routes! :)

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 18, 2006 7:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: whew!

Thanks, Sam. I think that the Creator was looking out for me that afternoon. Helmet accompanies me on almost all routes- was bummed I'd forgotten it, but just didn't want to let it keep me from climbing. This will be a good reminder in the future. Let's all get together when Dave gets back.

Samantha

Samantha - Aug 18, 2006 7:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: whew!

Please let me know if you want to climb something my speed while you are fully recovering (Norman Clyde??). Not sure whether Dave will be into it, but I am still in mountain mode completely. -S
(btw, I know you are a safe climber, but dang you pick some crazy routes!)

Luciano136

Luciano136 - Aug 18, 2006 7:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Accidents...

...happen! Fortunately you knew what you were doing and you're ok! Not too mention, you brought liquor! That was probably the smartest move ;)

Get better soon!!

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 18, 2006 7:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Accidents...

Thanks for the support!

Dragger

Dragger - Aug 18, 2006 7:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Yikes!

Yikes Dirk -- glad to hear you're ok. Sometimes I kick myself for being too conservative, but it's all the more evident from your report to remember the alpine nature of this climb. (Was up there a couple of weeks ago and bailed after the first three pitches because we got rained and hailed on by 10:30 am.) Hope to hear your recoveries are going well & take care.
Carolyn

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 21, 2006 7:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yikes!

Thanks for your support, Carolyn. Too bad we couldn't meet up- will probably see you at least once or twice again before the end of the season (want to be out there again soon!).

awagher

awagher - Aug 18, 2006 8:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Glad you are okay.

Crazy action out there man. I am glad to hear you are alright.

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 18, 2006 10:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Glad you are okay.

Thanks, Andrew.

forjan

forjan - Aug 18, 2006 10:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Take care

Hi Dirk,
Wish you a speedy recovery.....almost 2 years ago (Sept 2004), I was belaying my partner up from the top of the 2nd pitch on the north couloir direct of Mt Humphreys when I heard this sound getting stronger & stronger.....I looked up and about 1 pitch away I see this 1-foot sized rock bouncing back and forth on the ice at a great speed. While attached on the belay, I tried to move to the left then to the right then to the left in order to avoid the "unpredictable" trajectory of the rock. Seconds later the 1-foot sized rock just missed me by a mere 6 feet from my right shoulder. Right after that's when we got the hell down out of there. That's the alpine environment. It's riskier.

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 21, 2006 8:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Take care

Hey Miguel, thanks for the support. It takes incidences like this to remind one that our pastime indeed has costly consequences for mistakes made (I still want to get out there as soon as possible, though!).

MichaelJ

MichaelJ - Aug 19, 2006 5:59 am - Hasn't voted

rock sucks

Glad you're ok, Dirk. I was climbing a route in the Dolomiti last week that supposedly sees hundreds of ascents a year, following my partner across a traverse and remarking on the crappy nature of the rock when the ledge I was crossing blew, sending me on a 10 footer into the anchor... Not the worst thing that happened to us on that climb, either, but that's another TR... Let's just say we got into an Italian newspaper...

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 21, 2006 8:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: rock sucks

Hey Michael, thanks. Did you injure yourself (selves) or others? Details are forthcoming, I assume (hope) :) Hope you & your partner were OK- Dolomites seem like a beautiful place to climb.

MichaelJ

MichaelJ - Aug 22, 2006 2:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: rock sucks

No injuries, although the ER doc who checked us out and ran blood tests warned me to lay off the prosciutto--this after the hospital had just given me a big plate of Parma ham for lunch...

Viewing: 1-20 of 33
12
Return to 'Getting Rocked on Cathedral Peak' main page