Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Dec 15, 2008 12:13 pm - Hasn't voted

The text marks on the images

aren't visible in the article ... not even when a link is clicked. Could you possibly make the letters larger / bolder? Also, a few more images with the mountains would be great. (Kopylov's got some amazing shots, if the stars aren't too photoshopped there ;)

Great idea for an article, thanks, looking forward to its completion!

TrekAdam

TrekAdam - Dec 15, 2008 12:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The text marks on the images

once I'm finished with the article text I'll certainly go back and fix the text in the images! thanks for letting me know about the problem! The article will be completed soon.

Thanks for the comment :)

Dan the Jones

Dan the Jones - Dec 16, 2008 3:16 pm - Voted 10/10

wow-

I think the night sky, is one of the main attractions for getting away from the city lights. The presence of ones own existence can be contemplated while staring at the night sky - what else can make you do that? Great article, thanks for posting.

TrekAdam

TrekAdam - Dec 16, 2008 5:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: wow-

glad you liked it! Thanks!

Proterra

Proterra - Dec 19, 2008 5:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Cool page.

The only problem is that where I live it's impossible to see stars fainter than Mag. +2 in the summer and Mag. +3 in the winter when it's clear, due to urban light pollution, as well as the sun that is only about 14 degrees below the horizon in June.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 22, 2008 10:22 am - Voted 10/10

Very Comprehensive

Very comprehensive article, TrekAdam. I found the comment about latitude and the altitude of Polaris being a coincidence interesting. I'm an amateur astronomer and I teach night nav to Boy Scouts and this is certainly a coincidence I teach. That is, if you're looking for Polaris, don't bother to look at angles that are not at your approximate latitude (within a degree or so). More important, if you think you've found Polaris, but it's not at your approximate latitude, you have not.

To be more complete in what I teach Boy Scouts, I provide an abbreviated course from your more comprehensive one to the Scouts: Learn where the Big Dipper and Cassiopeia are. Since they are approximately opposite sides of Polaris, at least one will always be high above the horizon. Use them, and your approximate latitude, to find Polaris. You now know north.

Other important constellations to learn: Scorpius (easily seen from Oklahoma), because it's bright and when it stands tall you're looking south. Orion, because when it's laying on it's side on the horizon you're looking approximately east or west (watch it for a few minutes to see if it rises or sinks), and when it stands tall you're looking approximately south. Cygnus, because when it's directly overhead it points approximately south (as the Indians would say, if seen after sunset the geese [or swan in current thinking] are flying south for the winter--it is late fall).

The moon: When not full, it points either east or west. Again, watch it for a few minutes to determine it's movement.

Cassiopeia or the Big Dipper: Think of either as the hour hand of a 24-hour clock. Use it to measure the passage of time.

Again, thanks for a very comprehensive article--certainly look forward to your further expansion of naked eye objects in the night sky.

--mark d.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Dec 23, 2008 8:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Milky way

It might be useful to contrast the summer vs. winter intensity of the Milky Way.

spagester - Nov 11, 2010 8:40 pm - Voted 9/10

Question

I was happy to run across your blog. It's great with lots of info in an easy to read format.

Do you know what the times on the moon phase photo are?

Thanks and God Bless Steve

g_general1 - Jan 29, 2013 4:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Orion belt is part of North arrow formation

This formation creates an arrow that always points north, so it is used for navigation at night.
Alnitak, Alnilam and Almintaka (Belt)-First arm + the star to the right of Alnitak in straight line will form the second arm.
Now look the nebula M42 & M43 are forming the tail of the arrow.

mtneering

mtneering - Mar 1, 2013 8:44 pm - Hasn't voted

fun article

love the night sky!!!

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Getting to Know the Night Sky: The Northern Hemisphere' main page