Gnarly west face

Gnarly west face

Looking down the extremely rugged west face. Check out the old tree. You could summit up this route, but it would be a long, hard day. Very hot in the summer. This place is chuck full of rattlesnakes. May 24, 2008
imontop
on May 24, 2008 11:37 pm
Image ID: 406288

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - May 27, 2008 5:37 am - Voted 10/10

West Face

The west face of Lewis Peak is very rugged. There are a few routes that break through the cliffs. I’ve climbed up Jumpoff Canyon in winter. It has fun 3rd class scrambling. Another good route goes up Garner Canyon farther north. Snow melts early from that side of the mountain.

imontop

imontop - May 27, 2008 6:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: West Face

I was wondering about Jump Off. It looked like once you got past the cliffs, it would be an easy shot to the summit. Is Garner Canyon below the north face? I'd like going straight up the face. Looking at my picture, follow the ridge straight down, then angle to the right.(north) What do you think?

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - May 27, 2008 10:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: West Face

You can get to both canyons from the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. The Ogden Nature Center Trailhead is where I recommend starting from. There are some switchbacks up the hillside that go to a junction with Garner Canyon and Jumpoff Canyon.

The trail to Jumpoff Canyon goes south below the entrance of the canyon. From the top of the cliffs you start angling northeast toward the top of a small peak. This is the one above the canyon. Then you follow the ridge in your photo toward the summit.

Garner Canyon can be reached by taking the trail that goes north at the junction. It is located on the northwest face of Lewis Peak. Yes, you can get to the canyon by climbing down from the summit and then heading right.

imontop

imontop - May 27, 2008 10:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: West Face

You definately know you way around. Thanks for sharing the info.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4