Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 69.42517°N / 62.20879°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 1388 ft / 423 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A totally insignificant mountain – from an alpinistic point of view. Yet the highest elevation of the vast Nenets Autonomous Okrug – Nenetskij Avtonomnyj Okrug – of the even vaster Arkhangelsk Oblast, a strip of land along the shores of the Barents and Kara Seas in the north of European Russia. Geographically, Gora More-iz is an isolated mountain close to the neighboring mountain chain of Paj-Choj, an extension of the Urals.

The name Gora More-iz is half Russian (gora = mountain), half Nenets (iz = peak). The meaning of „more“ is unknown to the writer of this article. It is said it has nothing to do with the Russian more = sea.

Its height is disputed. Maps differ greatly in that, but own GPS measurements show that 423 m is most likely.

Getting There

Gora More-iz is about 40 km south east of the settlement of Amderma and can be reached from there either walking across the tundra (which may take 4 days both ways, without any shelter on the way). Alternatively one may use the service of one of the local Russians who owns an old Soviet light-weight tank. These vehicles are made to manage swampy terrain. A round trip to the base of the hill is available for a fee and takes one day. The hill itself is a flat, round-shaped ridge covered with glacial moraine material. Vertical altitude to climb: about 100 m.

More difficult is it to reach Amderma. This can be accomplished only in the summer months with regular (once every 2 weeks) flights from Arkhangelsk, operated by Nordavia. The flights go via Naryan-Mar, the capital of the Nenets Autonomous District.

There is no hotel in Amderma. Accommodation is available at private homes.


Red Tape

Entrance to Amderma is restricted to those who have a special permit, obtained through the Arkhangelsk branch of the Russian Inland Secret Service FSB. Direct communication with FSB is not possible for foreigners; the Russian tourist agency Intourist will be happy to mediate. Adresses available from the www. No use to quote them here, because they are subject to change.

Camping

Wild camping is possible everywhere along the way.

External Links

Very little and no meaningful information through Russian websites. Use Google!

http://www.gipfel-und-grenzen.de/inhalt/nenzen.php

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.