Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon

Hiking through South Canyon to Vasey's Paradise in the Grand Canyon.
tanya
on Mar 3, 2008 3:40 am
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 385301

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 5, 2008 2:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Great, Tanya...

I really like this series of photos from
GC North. The colors in the rocks really stand out! Can you imagine John Wesley Powell's surprise when he first entered this
canyon by boat in 1869? How long has the South Canyon trail been in existence? I think the three expedition members would have survived if they had exited the canyon at this point, instead of Separation Rapids
where they were later killed. Nice shot!

tanya

tanya - Mar 5, 2008 4:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great, Tanya...

Thanks! It's a special place. See how Bo is walking on the sloping edge? There is one that slopes much steeper and is covered with slippery moss (my fear of drowning is far worse than falling off some cliff and I understand that if you fall in this river without a life jacket you will probably drown) that you must walk along to get to the Spring from South Canyon - years ago when doing this hike it terrified me... this time it was nothing. Either I have got brain dead or better at this stuff!

Yes, the river was much different when Powell did it too. The rapids have changed, the boats are easier to deal with and we have steaks and food galore compared to their sad rations. South Canyon is a drainage, so as long as the rest of the Grand Canyon I assume. I would not call it a trail... but a scramble down from the top of the rim to the canyon bottom along the weakness. This is in Marble Canyon, far from where they left and far too early for them to have given up. Separation Rapid by the way is now a rather mild thing.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 5, 2008 5:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great, Tanya...

Don't mean to sound like a broken record,
but you and Bo must really know how to manage your time! If you would have did South Canyon today, a wall of water (208,000 cfs) would have came down upon you!
You must be getting BETTER at this stuff! The best part is, you survived for another day ... feels nice to see that sun (comin' up) on the eastern horizon. Life is GOOD,
and the journey is even sweeter!

Sweeter ... think I'll have a piece of pie!!! : )

bobeck

bobeck - Mar 5, 2008 9:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great, Tanya...

We have a few "ins" as the saying goes! Bill Vandegraff (GC Backcountry Ranger) just left Zion today after teaching 2 days of Search Management courses. He will be specifically there at GC to help with the monitoring of the release. I try to keep in touch with the folks that keep me out of harms way!

tanya

tanya - Mar 7, 2008 12:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great, Tanya...

I believe MoapaPk went to the canyon just for that. His report when he returns should be interesting!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 7, 2008 12:22 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great, Tanya...

Thanks... I was considering going up to Quartermaster Viewpoint, but I can see the change by observing Lake Mead. Think I'll go out to the cactus garden tomorrow.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6