Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

These birds are delightfully common in the Great Falls area and often occupy crags in the middle of the river. This one is perched by the narrow side channel that separates Sherwin Island from Bear Island. This scene is on Sherwin Island, where there are several climbing crags that few people bother to visit. Great Falls, MD-- October 2007
Bob Sihler
on Nov 4, 2007 3:17 pm
Image Type(s): Wildlife
Image ID: 353248

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
SLCompulsion

SLCompulsion - Nov 4, 2007 4:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Congradulations!

on a nice shot and P.O.H.! Great to see a poh from the back yard. I was out there climbing today on a delightful morning around the Seclusion area.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 4, 2007 5:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congradulations!

Thank you, and it's nice in turn to hear from someone in the neighborhood. What did you climb out at Seclusion today? I've done Nubbin, Stan's Lead, and OJB without a rope and Snowflake and Great Beginnings on the rope. It's a great area with beautiful rock, one of my favorite crags at Great Falls.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 31, 2011 11:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Most people...

don't realize that the Great blue heron is a top predator. They'll eat things you wouldn't think possible, including large adult turtles. Give them a few million more years of evolution and we might have another theropod stalking the countryside.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 1, 2011 11:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Most people...

That would actually be pretty cool. I once saw one eat a fish so large that I couldn't believe it was possible. You should have seen the neck bulging. At a park visitor center, I saw a photo sequence of one eating a muskrat. Amazing.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Nov 1, 2011 5:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Most people...

On the job once, during a drought, there was a stream I'd have to cross every day. Of course it wasn't a stream anymore but a series of pools (this was in '02 when we had one of the nastier droughts). One of the pools was pretty big and the larger fish had retreated there, safe and sound. Until a heron came cruising up the creek one day. He hung around until he'd cleaned out that pool and all the ones in sight. Took him about three days, as I recall. The thing is...one day we stood and looked at each other. He was up on a rock so we were staring at each other eye to eye (and he didn't need much of a rock to do that). Man, he was not scared. I could see a little of T-rex in that old boy.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5