Viewing: 1-7 of 7
bfsmith@realse.com

bfsmith@realse.com - Mar 27, 2007 7:39 pm - Voted 8/10

Great Report

Thanks for the GREAT report on James. I am going up on Sunday with a CMC group and this report provides as much good beta as one could want. excellent shots too!

Ben

smason505

smason505 - Mar 27, 2007 9:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Report

Thank you. Have a great day up there - lots of great views in all directions. Snow conditions have probably changed since friday with all of the new snow in the Front Range, but hopefully the pictures gave you a good idea of the coverage.

bfsmith@realse.com

bfsmith@realse.com - Mar 28, 2007 3:27 pm - Voted 8/10

Re: Great Report

Probably a decent amount of new snow. Too bad I don't ski.

Out of curiosity...What camera were you shooting with?

Ben

smason505

smason505 - Apr 2, 2007 11:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Report

The camera used was a Cyber-shot® DSC-T10 Digital Camera. We used a mix of the pre-set shooting styles, including the snow setting, and also manually set the f-stop a few times to get better exposure.

bfsmith@realse.com

bfsmith@realse.com - Apr 2, 2007 2:34 pm - Voted 8/10

REALLY Windy

We went up there yesterday. It was a beautiful day if you didn't account for the wind. Forecast was for 35-40 sustained with gusts to 70...and I think we got all that. We made it about half way up the glacier. The snow was blowing down the glacier in such quantity and speed it actually made you dizzy to look up. The trip leader took a vote and decided to bale. :-)

We will try again in better weather.

Thanks for the info on the shots. I like them quite a bit.

Ben

smason505

smason505 - Apr 4, 2007 1:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: REALLY Windy

I think we really lucked out on the weather when we climbed James. There was no wind until a few hundred feet below the summit and mostly blue skies. However, on the summit, the wind was howling well above 30mph sustained.

We tried James Peak in October of 2006 and ended up turning around where you turned around. The visibility was zero and the snow was sticking to my goggles. Good luck on the next trip.

maverick

maverick - Apr 24, 2007 12:52 am - Hasn't voted

Sweet...

TR man... Those are some nice shots. The first couple are NatGeoworthy

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Great Spring Day on James Peak and St. Mary's Glacier' main page