Háalda Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
BLong

BLong - Aug 3, 2014 9:42 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2014

Quick trip from camp  Sucess!

We enjoyed a midnight ascent of this small peak (which appears bigger than it actually is) while waiting for weather to blow over.

klwagar

klwagar - Aug 16, 2006 11:02 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2006

Blowing Rain  Sucess!

A rainy blowy chilly day for an ascent - felt like a hurricane - views limited but it doesn't matter - the place is so beautiful and the hot springs warm you up at the end!

philippe bridgeman

philippe bridgeman - Nov 29, 2005 7:46 am

Route Climbed: Normal route Date Climbed: August 2002  Sucess!

Nice easy trek up a very colorful mountain followed by a relaxing soak in the hot springs at the bottom.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Aug 9, 2004 11:49 pm

Route Climbed: East Ridge Date Climbed: July 20, 2004  Sucess!

Amazing hike. Started about 8:30 am and enjoyed almost every aspect of this hike from the lava bed covered in moss to the meadow where I saw a white swan nesting. Across the rocks and past a bubbling hot spring to a cool waterfall. Then the climb really began up the ridge and a few up and downs to gain the summit ridge. Got windy there and a small bird kept piping at me. I thought he was just watching me but I saw later on the descent he was trying to distract me from his mate and chick that could not yet fly (and it worked too!).



Got really windy on top and then on the descent I wanted to walk the knife-edge ridge on the north side of the valley but opted not to as I wanted to save my legs for Hvannadalshnukur which I was to climb in 2 days. Instead I took a side route on the west side of the valley following some steam vents up a gully. Came to a bubbling mud pot and some serious vents pumping out sulphur and throwing up boiling water. Pretty cool.



Came back the same valley and then headed out of Landmannalaugur for the south Iceland coast....

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Háalda' main page