Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Apr 25, 2016 3:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Photo corrected

Thanks, Rob! Your explanation was clear and helpful but due to my laziness I never tried to rotate the photo and change the orientation ahead of time and see how that worked. The tablet I have is very spastic at times so I didn't try to find a program to do it as you suggested. Instead I went back to my original pictures and found a suitable one that was properly oriented and used that. I actually transferred it to my laptop and uploaded it from there as that is easier than using the tablet. Anyway, I now have the picture turned the right way so all is well! Thanks again.

Vic

rgg

rgg - Apr 28, 2016 4:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Photo corrected

Glad you found it useful. I had thought about writing this article for quite a while, but never gave it much priority. In the end it was your sideways picture that finally prompted me into action.

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - May 6, 2016 4:39 am - Hasn't voted

alternative solution

I had the same problem when posting my trip reports.
The way I fixed it was to open the picture file in Windows Picture Editor, rotate the image as required and then do a minor edit such as adjusting brightness or vignetting. Then save a new version of the file and this will then appear exactly as you want it to on the web page once it has been uploaded.

cheers
Johnnie

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Aug 31, 2016 12:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Uhmm....

But I am using the same camera today that I was using 5 years ago and the photos coming up sideways just starting happening. Also I clicked on using the old program, still sideways photos. You said this happens on other programs, I have yet to see this on FB, or any photo saving program.

rgg

rgg - Sep 14, 2016 4:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Uhmm....

Why it appears that it's just started happening to you I couldn't say since there are so many variables, first of all which programs and which versions you are referring to. But if you google something like

     "embedded rotated pictures"

you'll get lots of hits of people experiencing this issue, with lots of different sites - some I saw went back as far as 2010.



As for Facebook, I don't have an account there. I've got better things to do with my time.

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Jul 5, 2017 11:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Uhmm....

I rotated the image and saved it. I can't find where to change the setting to 1. But the image still is sideways.

rgg

rgg - Jul 5, 2017 1:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Uhmm....

There are lots of software tools that can rotate images, some free, some not. Perhaps it's clearer to say I'm talking about tools that rotate the pixels. The program I use is an old version of Microsoft Office Picture Manager (dated 2006). With it I can rotate images any angle that I want - also quite useful if the horizon isn't quite level and it takes a few degrees of rotation to fix it - but when saving the result, the original value of the orientation flag is saved. As a result, any viewer that uses the orientation flag displays the original image correctly, but the rotated image is displayed wrong because the orientation flag directs the viewer to rotate it again!

There are also lots of software tools that can change the orientation flag without doing anything else. In Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 there are "Rotate left" and "Rotate right" context-menu items in Windows Explorer. These will only change the orientation flag and nothing else.

When I was trying to understand the problem that the article deals with, I used an Online Exif Viewer to check the value of the orientation flag in various images. You can use this tool to check the value both before and after rotating it - that will tell you what changes your tool has made, if any.

Alternatively, check out the Wikipedia article "Comparison of metadata editors". It lists lots of programs, whether you just want to view the EXIF data in your file or edit some values directly.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Help! Or... Why Is My Picture Turned Sideways?' main page