Hematoma Quad Comments

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
byates

byates - Mar 12, 2009 11:53 am - Hasn't voted

A different version

Did a version in 96?, climbed Lone first, did the ridge to North Thunder and then down Bells I called the hike the Bells rim Circuit at the time.

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Mar 12, 2009 6:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: A different version

Any way you slice it, those four points (Lone, Bighorn, S & N Thunder) are a big prize for one day.

seano

seano - May 24, 2013 8:55 pm - Hasn't voted

South to North Thunder

You write: "There is one segment that is impassible from the ridge and requires a short descent down and around pinnacles on the Thunder Bowl side."

Do you mean the last, steep pinnacle before South Thunder? If so, it's 4th or low 5th, but you don't have to drop off the ridge: go around north for a bit, then cross south and pop up through a hole. From there, a downward hand-traverse along a flake with good hands and mediocre feet gets you to easier ground on the south side. The hand-traverse is the crux, and may be tricker going N-to-S than S-to-N.

In any case, it's a fun ridge.

zee monay - Sep 9, 2022 10:18 am - Hasn't voted

A note on mapping

I mapped this route-exiting Jacobs ladder at about 11 mi, 8200 feet of climbing, but the numbers don't really capture the effort you'll put in.

For comparison, I quite enjoy the wildcat ridge hike, which has similar stats, but the climb up to north thunder is a tough go! You'll constantly battle wet logs and slick granite and put in a lot of work for all the vert you gain.

Additionally, the scrambling from north thunder to the south thunder-bighorn saddle involves a lot of back and forth around brush and small terrain features and took us longer than we counted on.

Great adventure walk though and stunning views.
good luck!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Hematoma Quad' main page