North Ridge Comments

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
NavySeabee

NavySeabee - Nov 26, 2007 5:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Here's a Vote

Listed for over 2 1/2 years and no one has voted?! Here's the first. I'm intrigued by this peak.

Candace66

Candace66 - Feb 25, 2020 7:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Henderson Canyon route

"You should get a lineup of about 13 deg MN if you line up w/ the peak." I wish it were more clear to me what this means! Even more so, I wish there were a map of this route. I want to climb Indianhead, but Palm Canyon is closed again so I'm looking for an alternate route. It would be nice if it were more clear which drainage should be used.

cali - Mar 1, 2020 11:30 am - Hasn't voted

Trying to understand Henderson Canyon route

Yes, this Henderson Canyon route description is not clear. I assume "13degMN" means 13 degrees magnetic north, presumably when facing directly away from the peak (since the peak will be to the south). Can you say whether you were to the west or east of Indianhead Peak when you topped out, and about how far off? That might help. Thanks!

Shano

Shano - Mar 2, 2020 12:23 pm - Hasn't voted

route

Candace66 and cali - you're right this is confusing! Its been a very long time since I did the route but the 13deg heading doesnt make sense as the drainage we started up is ~E of the peak. Looking at google maps didnt really help either as its difficult to tell which is the peak. Also looks like a lot more development there now than when I climbed it ~20 years ago! But I dont recall going as far as the El Vado monument (if it was there back then.) I'd guess follow Indianhead ranch rd to DeAnza Trail road and shoot for that largest drainage on your left. I would bet that theres at least a vague trail and probably cairns leading you to the correct ridge to stay on. I did this with Sierra Club Desert Peaks Section, they may have more recent info. Hope this helps and sorry for the confusion. Perhaps I should strike that compass heading reference??

dralston - Mar 3, 2020 1:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Going to try to find the northern route this weekend.

Shano, it sounds like you're looking at the wrong mountain (Indianhead is 4 miles southwest of El Vado Historical Marker)
I'm going to go check it out this Sunday. I'm thinking the wash all the way to the ridge to the saddle (where the standard route connects to the summit ridge) looks promising.

Shano

Shano - Mar 3, 2020 2:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Going to try to find the northern route this weekend.

oh boy, maybe I am confused. My recollection was climbing IndianHead from the NE. Topped out then descended into Palm Canyon and the visitors center where we had the 2nd car stashed. If you're successful with the route I'd be happy to lateral this page over to you (or anyone interested) as I'm no longer climbing
Sorry for the confusion!!

dralston - Mar 3, 2020 3:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Going to try to find the northern route this weekend.

No worries. Approaching from the north east is what I'm thinking too. I'll definitely post what I find.

Candace66

Candace66 - Mar 3, 2020 9:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Climbed it!

I made it up there today. I added a photo to this route, which is a map showing my route up the mountain. I'm pretty sure I went up the same way that shano went up. Or at least the way H Sheldon went up, based on the photo he posted. I found it to be steep, sometimes very steep. Maybe a few easy class 3 moves up on the ridge, but mostly a difficult and strenuous Class 2. I'll try to share more details when I get back home in a few days.

Shano

Shano - Mar 4, 2020 7:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Climbed it!

Great! If you have the time maybe you could rewrite the route description and I’ll delete mine. I sure don’t want to propagate any further confusion for anyone considering the route

Candace66

Candace66 - Mar 4, 2020 1:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Climbed it!

I'll put together a better report when I get home in a few days and I can use my laptop! I will add that the ridge I went up was a pleasant surprise. Though steep, it wasn't the god forsaken choss-fest I expected. That ridge is covered with grasses and other vegetation. So it's quite solid. Also, as I got higher up, I veered to my right to avoid huge boulders along the top of the ridge. Perhaps this is what you meant when you talked about getting into a drainage on the west side of the ridge?

Shano

Shano - Mar 4, 2020 5:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Climbed it!

Been so long I honestly don’t recall. Since you’ve actually done the route recently I’m going to call you the new authority on details :-)

dralston - Mar 9, 2020 11:29 am - Hasn't voted

Success!

Climbed with 3 others on 3/8/20 using same ridge as Candace66. In my opinion this route is about the same difficulty as the standard route (West ridge). I think going up the wash a little bit farther before climbing up to the ridge might a be a little bit better.

Candace66

Candace66 - Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Success!

dralston... Cool! I've never climbed Indianhead by any of the other routes, so I wasn't sure how this route compared. But reading descriptions of the other routes--and looking at them from the summit--I felt this route might be easier. Also, who is going to tackle re-writing the route page? :) I'm willing to do it, but I believe shano would have to hand it over.

Shano

Shano - Mar 11, 2020 1:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Success!

Congrats Candace66 you are now the new owner (if I did the permissions change correctly) Let me know if you’re able to edit and keep or trash any of my content as needed. Glad this page is getting some exercise!

Candace66

Candace66 - Mar 11, 2020 2:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Success!

I do have access to edit it now. I'll work on it today/tomorrow. Thanks!

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'North Ridge' main page