Highpointing Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
tom martin

tom martin - Oct 29, 2019 7:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Your ranking systems is a nice reference but it can't really be absolute.

Thank you for your comments related to my Highpoint Difficulty Rating Scale. You are correct, the rating scale is not absolute. See the following quote:
“This classification is based on the easiest "standard" route to each summit under "good" conditions. Some highpointers take more difficult routes in order to increase the physical effort (and therefore the physical benefits) of the trip, or simply to provide a greater challenge. Also, it should be clear that other factors will impact on the difficulty of a specific highpoint--weather and route conditions, individual fitness level, outdoor skills, climbing skill, appropriate clothing, proper equipment, and perhaps teamwork. The more difficult highpoints require knowledge, preparation, fitness, and skill to safely negotiate the route. There has been no attempt to rate highpoints within-class; they are presented alphabetically by state.”
Also, note that each classification 1 through 10 begins with the criteria for that classification.
Congratulations on your 29 highpoints and good luck on your journeys to the highpoints of the remaining 21 states.
Tom Martin

tom martin

tom martin - Oct 30, 2019 5:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Your ranking systems is a nice reference but it can't really be absolute.

I did my first Highpoint in 1967 - Mt. Whitney (CA) in one day. I had no idea what Highpointing was; I did it because I thought it would be "cool" to be on the highest point of the 48 contiguous states. I did a number of state highpoints along the way from 1967 to 1987. That is the year I became aware of the new Highpointers Club, joined and did my next state highpoint the following year - 1988 Indiana.

I don't understand why you feel it is inappropriate to compare the "difficulty" of getting to the top of Gannett Peak with the difficulty of getting to Panorama Point. What about comparing a drive-up to the top of Mt Washington to climbing Gannett Peak? Are they not both mountains?

Anyway, I wish you success in your endeavor. Any improvements you make in rating the difficulty of achieving the highest point in each state will be appreciated by highpointers.



tom martin

tom martin - Oct 30, 2019 11:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Your ranking systems is a nice reference but it can't really be absolute.

Categorizing the State Highpoints as being Mountains, Hills, and Landmarks is an interesting approach. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Highpointing' main page