Viewing: 1-7 of 7
hanna

hanna - Sep 23, 2008 1:39 pm - Hasn't voted

from Poland.....in Europe

I would like to take my children with me while I'm hikking but I always think they're too young to manage. How old is your youngest child and please tell me when you started taking them with you.
Greetings from Gdansk, the north of Poland

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Sep 27, 2008 8:16 am - Voted 10/10

Re: from Poland.....in Europe

Dzien dobry!

My kids (now teenagers) started hiking when they could walk. When they were very small, we'd just hike to a stream - - throw rocks, play with sticks in the water, and so forth. As they get older, they can go farther and higher (and will want to).


imzadi

imzadi - Sep 23, 2008 9:22 pm - Hasn't voted

GREETINGS

My youngest is 7...and we all just started hiking this year. There are basically two different types of hikes...the ones with the two youngest (7 and 10) are usually no more than 2 hours without reaching the "top". The oldest comes with my husband and I and we keep pushing more and more each time. Shooting for an overnight and on...I think it's best to start as early as possible...but let them lead and remember, when you hike with them, it is more about teaching them and having it become part of them and being fun then it is about "bagging the peak" or seeing what you can do...that will come later. Heck, they'll probably be pulling YOU up the trail in later years.

POLAND!! You must really do some hiking.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Sep 27, 2008 8:19 am - Voted 10/10

Re: GREETINGS

You might attach this page to this one.

Personalities matter too. I have one who is very competitive and wants elevation gain and mileage; the other one wants to find a nice spot and chill, maybe fish, and (amen!) help with dinner. Do get them out overnight!

Elizabeth Riggin

Elizabeth Riggin - Oct 8, 2008 12:16 am - Voted 5/10

Go figure!

Hands down! I think it should be mandatory for all younge persons to have to help maintain the trail systems of American..it will create a sense of being and get a lot of frustrations out. It will teach the young-teenagers things that they would not get watching tv, or being on their cell phone or spending time spending money at a mall, but rather be spending their time in nature and really getting to know what life is all about while getting into real good shape. It does start at home getting kids to hike and get into nature.

imzadi

imzadi - Oct 8, 2008 10:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Go figure!

Good comments!!

Plus, if you get them to HELP with maintenance...they may be a little more consciencious about how they treat nature themselves...seeing what it takes to clean up messes.

OH...and, they will get a real appreciation for nature...and how nature always wins in the end. We are only allowed to co-exist and only if we are good to nature.

hanna

hanna - Feb 13, 2009 3:16 pm - Hasn't voted

thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I think let children lead is a great idea to encourage them for further experience...

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Hiking with Kids' main page