Viewing: 1-4 of 4

Flachlandtiroler - Oct 31, 2016 4:27 am - Voted 10/10

Well done...

I suppose it's not by chance that this page appears ;-)
Good work with lots of good fotos.

--

One comment to the Kanzel Lift: I would like to sensitize the readers here not to use this lift.
Apart from fairness issues and of course the existence of the very recommendable Duesseldorfer hut: The lifts are undergoing a very condemnable expansion.
I.e. the whole wonderful pine forest at the bottom of the Rosim valley has been chopped!! For nothing but another sh%§&* skiing run :-(
What's more this part of the landscape belongs to Stelvio National Park core zone and the local authorities just ignored it for profit.
Do not support this in buying a lift ticket in Sulden/Solda...

Flachlandtiroler - Oct 31, 2016 4:36 am - Voted 10/10

Crevasses

In general, in doubt it's never a mistake to rope up on a glacier of course.

Judging from our experience and from the fotos on this page (esp. http://www.summitpost.org/angelus-vertaintrip-ch/643177 ) I would say the connection from Angelusscharte to the base of Vertain [edit: E-/NE-] arrete doesn't require traveling roped. Here one walks across snowfields and it clearly can be seen that there are scree/boulder fields around i.e. *no* glacier.
Nevertheless a colleague broke through the rotten snow into the scree below and hurt his ankle -- a rope would not have avoided this.

Lodewijk

Lodewijk - Oct 31, 2016 2:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Crevasses

Hi there! First of all, I guess you mean the East ridge instead of NW? Reaching the E-ridge from the Angelusscharte does not involve crossing the whole Laaser Ferner (just its edge), but still, the two parties we met during our ascent, both heading for the E-ridge, all roped up at the Angelusscharte. I guess you can say it is not obligatory, but still like you say: It is never a mistake to rope up on a glacier. When crossing the Laaser Ferner to the Rosimjoch the whole glacier is crossed and roping up is, in my opinion, a must.
About the use of the Kanzellift, yes it is sad too see the effects on nature, but to not use the lift because of it is a personal choice of course.
Thanks for your comments and I'm glad you like the page.
Lodewijk

Flachlandtiroler - Nov 1, 2016 10:36 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Crevasses

You're right, NW-Ridge is wrong. I should better have written NE-Ridge; it starts from Angelusscharte aiming into western direction, but this passage is circumvented on the "glacier" below. After re-joining the ridge the direction is SW, so NE-arrete would be apropriate.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Hoher Angelus - Vertainspitze Traverse' main page