Hotlum-Bolum Ridge

Hotlum-Bolum Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing

Mt. Shasta June, 2009

These are pictures from our summit of Mount Shasta in June, 2009. We went to the North side of the mountain and climbed the Hotlum-Bolum ridge. Couldn't ask for better conditions.
Technically, it was a pretty easy climb, just a lot of glacier travel and some class 3 or 4 scrambling towards the top. We had rope and some rock pro, but we didn't use it.
Two months earlier we tried to summit via the Green Butte route on the south side, but we didn't quite make it. One of our party (Benis) passed out on the ice from a combination of altitude sickness, dehydration, and not eating enough. Grundles and I were already 500' above him, so we had to down climb some loose rock that was covered in flakey ice so we could get Benis back to the base camp. We would have left him where he was and picked him up on the way back, but he was passed out on a precarious ledge under some large hanging chunks of ice, and he probably would have turned into a popsicle, since it was pretty cold that day and we didn't have a sleeping bag that we could stuff him in.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
AriehDavid

AriehDavid - Aug 6, 2011 8:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Correction

Glad to see you had a good and successful climb. Looks like you had fun too!

Just for the record, there is no such thing as the 'Hotlum-Bolam Glacier.' There is a Hotlum Glacier and a Bolam Glacier. It appears you did the Hotlum-Bolam Ridge route. In general, there appears to be a great deal of geographic mislabeling on your post.

Anyway, be safe out there. I'd definitely recommend going back for your friends if they appear to be in trouble.

MBFN

MBFN - Aug 7, 2011 5:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Correction

Thanks for the correction. I'll make some changes.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2