Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Vladislav

Vladislav - Jun 6, 2006 5:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Quite an experience, I bet!

Wise decision to turn around.

Luciano136

Luciano136 - Jun 6, 2006 9:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Definitely

Yes, I was quite impressed! It was amazing! Thx for reading!

TJ311

TJ311 - Oct 26, 2007 7:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Smart Move

Yes... I agree. Smart choice. You can go back and try again on another day. I bet that wind was just incredible though!

Luciano136

Luciano136 - Oct 26, 2007 8:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Smart Move


Never experienced anything like it!!! I couldn't believe it!

Steven Cross

Steven Cross - Dec 8, 2012 12:08 am - Voted 10/10

May, bad time of year

May and early June is the windiest time of the year in the Flagstaff area. I grew up just east of the Peaks and the wind there was horrible. There were times the winds would get up to 80 mph in that area. I always dreaded May. I hated that month. I didn't look at what month you hiked Humphreys before reading your TR. I thought to myself, "Did he hike this in May?" Sure enough. You attempted this the worst time of year when the winds are at its worst! I've never been on top of Humphreys when it was so bad that I could not summit, but I have seen some nasty wind.

Luciano136

Luciano136 - Dec 10, 2012 12:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: May, bad time of year

I had never experienced anything like it! The feeling that the wind could actually pick you up and throw you off the mountain is pretty freaky! I have been in a lot more high wind situations after this hike but nothing remotely close to this!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Humphreys Peak in a category 3 hurricane' main page