I call this Swiss-cheese...

I call this Swiss-cheese rock. It doesn't have a real name, and I can't find a better term for it. Mark McCray photo.


Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3

lisae - Nov 16, 2006 2:26 am - Voted 10/10

Swiss Cheese

sounds right to me. Goat Rock in Castle Rcok State Park (CA) has a climb with features like the photo. It is called 'Swiss Cheese' and is rated 5.5.

A state park web site calls it fretwork.

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Nov 22, 2006 1:57 am - Voted 10/10


this looks great. I don't know if you noticed, but on the bottom part of the photo you can see evident cross-bedding. What is the scale here? At any rate, the ripples or dunes ( base on their size) would have been moving from right to left. Great geo pic!



Scott - Nov 27, 2006 11:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Delicious...

For scale, see the photo below, taken not far away:


Yes, I notice the cross-bedding. It's actually very prominent in much of the Wingate SS and all of the Navajo SS that I'm aware of (the photo is the Wingate). I've never not seen it in the Navajo!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3