Identify this ass!
 
 Came...

Identify this ass! Came...

Identify this ass!

Came across this creature digging a burrow in the side of the trail at about 2500 feet. He stuck his head in thinking he was safe and I have no idea what this is. Anyone? I was thinking Nutria but I don't know that they go into the mountains. It's about the size of a beaver but I could not see its tail. So what do you think? Groundhog? Giraffe? Hippo?
Brian Jenkins
on Apr 25, 2005 12:35 am
Image ID: 102205

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Apr 25, 2005 1:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain Beaver

Never heard of one but you just made me look it up on the internet. Odd animal, the oldest rodent, not really a beaver, unique to the Pac NW, sheds milky white tears, has a primitive physiology and it has to take in lots of water daily since its kidneys are not that great. It might be this but there is one trait that is a bit different. The burrow is 5 to 6 inches across of this animal and the one we saw was like close to twice that size and this animal barely fit into it. Maybe it's just a big one, not sure. Thanks for the info though.

donhaller3

donhaller3 - Jul 26, 2007 7:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain Beaver

Thats my guess too. They appear bigger than that to me, their burrows look as if they are twice as big as they shoud be, and their burrow clusters are real ankle turning inconveniences if you walk into them in thick brush. They can turn over large amounts of dirt, comparable to a badger, when they dig.

dmiki

dmiki - Jul 28, 2007 2:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain Beaver

dh3, thank you for the identification! Brian, if your are satisfied with the information received, please detach your picture from the Unidentified flora and fauna album within the next week so that the album remain 'fresh'. Thanks.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3